Slideshow Widget

Diary of a Dollmaker

10 Sep 2014

10th September

I am deep in dollmaking land now; several dolls made and in need of faces or hair or both and finishing touches like knees or bottoms. Once they get their faces they can give me that look , the one that says I want clothes but I want just the right clothes so think carefully Jenny  and make me something I will love.

Having all my fabrics stored in plastic boxes and stacked a mile high makes finding the fabric I want a bit of a physical workout which is not such a bad thing I guess. The best part about Louis leaving to live in another state will be I get some more convenient storage space, I think that's the only good thing though, I will miss him terribly.

Louis has always maintained that I don't do any work and was amazed when I told him how many dolls I made in a year. I said something the other day about having to work and not being able to go out to lunch with him and his sister and I expected him to say the usual disparaging comment about me not working. Instead he said,  Oh you work , it just doesn't seem like it to anyone else because you enjoy it so much. Does that mean I have achieved that goal... find something you love to do  and you will never work a day in your life. Lucky me.




9 Responses to “Diary of a Dollmaker”

  1. What an incredible remark! Indeed you are lucky, but I'm sure it was a journey to get where you are :) I hope someday to do the same, 'soul satisfying' work myself. In fact, I hope that's what I am transitioning into right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how your dollies are sitting in their baskets with their feet up, though they do seem a little put out at being left like that. It does show off some different foot design though. Do you make your own patterns? I crochet dolls, much smaller than these. Actually, one would be a perfect doll for one of your dolls :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do make my own patterns. I clicked through to see your dolls, very cute

      Delete
  3. I read that with a bittersweet tone Jenny. I can't imagine how it must feel to have your child moving interstate, I'm sure I will find out soon enough. How great though that he has stopped teasing you about your work and now has some understanding. Now I'm curious how many dolls do you make in a year?
    cheers Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are going to miss him so much Kate. He is going to Perth, so far away. I make between 70 to 80 dolls a year, not so many but he thought it was about 20,lol.

      Delete
  4. yes Perth is a long way isn't it. Not really an easy weekend visit. Do I recall your sister being over that way? If so you will have 2 reasons to holiday there now.
    70 to 80 dolls seems like a huge amount to me, that's more than 1 each week. To someone who doesn't sew that seems just incredible. I still think you should make time for lunch dates though, they are most important and one must keep up their nourishment....

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sister has just left WA which is bad timing. I wouldn't normally say no to lunch but I had a lot of stuff to do and lunch was going to be followed by going to town and I just didn't feel like it.
    70 to 80 dolls is a lot. It will be a bit less this year I think, I was aiming for a doll a week but I always get carried away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So true, that little saying about if you love what you do and it will never feel like work. You definitely have achieved that. Not many people get to say that. I love doing a lot of things but when I am asked to do them for someone else then I feel the pressure is on and I don't seem to enjoy it like I normally do. Somehow it takes all of the fun out of it. I am more of a random acts of kindness sort of gal anyways. I get so much enjoyment out of gifting to others. I guess that was why I always loved Christmas. I was always the last one to open any gifts, I would much rather watch everyone else be surprised, especially my children when they were little.
    Have a good week Jenny.
    (((HUGS))) Susanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am really happy to see a picture of a craft room that looks like mine! works in progress and little extras on the shelves! I've seen far to many pictures of fantasy craft rooms, they look pretty but like nothing ever happens in them!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.