therapy doll

10 Mar 2014




On Friday I was feeling rather sad,
sad about some conversations that were going on about dolls
and it made me feel that this craft I love was somehow being disrespected
which was probably silly
and probably I was just tired
and feeling a little jaded.






Whatever the reason I felt a strong need to make a really simple doll.
 I gave myself the challenge of using one of my old patterns and just using it as is.

What a challenge, I never knew it could be so difficult. 
So difficult in fact that I couldn't do it. 
I had to reshape the shoulders because the squareness of them offended my eye and even though my dolls have never been fat when I used my old pattern the chubbiness of this one  at first seemed all wrong





I wanted to  make the face look the way my dolls used to look but I couldn't do that either.
I think because the way my dolls look now has been such a gradual process my hands have learned their lessons well and to make them go back  four years  was impossible.





When I worked with stroke patients our big idea behind their treatment was that the movement patterns they practised the most would be the ones at which that they became most skilled.

My hands and brain and eyes have all been on this journey together, practising almost everyday and they work as a well trained unit and  I could not make them do things the way I used to, I could barely remember how I used to do things, how things should look.

Still I like the way she turned out
In the end she became a reinterpretation of my older work.
I dressed her in purple homespun because the very first doll I made was dressed in purple homespun.
 That first doll was also tossed from a pram as we ran to catch a tram and was never seen again but I see that colour often and remember the softness of the fabric, softness from being washed so many times  as the doll was so often flung into puddles and dirt and sand and food. 
Perhaps the last time the doll actually jumped out to find a new home, a less mucky existence .

This girlie found her new home yesterday.
I know she will get lots of cuddles. 
Hopefully she won't get too many mud baths.






8 Responses to “therapy doll”

  1. She is a beautiful therapy doll for a very special doll maker. I think you need to be a sensitive soul to put the time and patience into making a quality doll over and over again. I think most of us also see them as real little people who need to be treated with love and kindness. Each one unique and special in their own way.

    It can be disheartening sometimes talking to people who just don't understand. I hope she made you feel better Jenny. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I am entranced by your dolls' faces... each one is so different and that is a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, Jenny.....you breathe life into each and every beautiful doll you make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You seem to know the perfect way to cheer yourself up…stitching!! A needle in the hand is the best therapy I know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dolls are sooooo sweet and beautiful....just remember this....God's Word for you today:
    "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving." Colossians 3:23-24
    Blessings to you!! ~ Vicki ~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that is such a sweet story! Thank you for sharing love!

    Blessings,
    Samantha Disch {Wild Maple Wool}

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is perfect! Don't listen (or read!) the negative things. Just keep doing what you are doing, bringing joy to so many.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful doll, beautiful story..
    Hugs Nadia

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.