looking back

22 May 2013



Somewhere between the planning and the making I made a quick decision to search out my old 12" doll pattern, the one I was using way back when my dolls started selling as soon as they went into my Etsy shop, at the end of 2007.
 Gosh that's five and a half years ago.
 A year later at the end of 2008 I altered my pattern and that is the pattern I have used since with just a few little changes.

So I made Maggie with my old body pattern, it is a little slimmer than my current pattern especially the legs though my current dollies are still very petite.
Me being me I did fiddle around with the arm pattern giving the doll a slightly bigger hand.
I think this should be called the essential  little jenny wren doll.
It's not a complicated pattern but it does embody the elegance of good simple design,
 a well proportioned doll without excess and with just enough detail to satisfy.

When I compared it is almost identical to my Sweet Child pattern which I have developed slowly over the past 3 or 4 years, shorter legs and slightly longer body are the only differences.
 Funny how you go all around the long way and end up back where you started only it's not the same because you have changed with the journey.

Way back in 2007 I had been struggling to get to a place where I could be a full time doll maker.
 On line selling, Etsy in particular were only just starting to take off. 
There were very few Waldorf doll makers on Etsy back then and I was excited about the way ahead. 
When my dolls start to really sell well it took me by surprise but I loved it, I was finally  successfully doing what I had always wanted , creating and selling my work.

So a nostalgic day in the Playroom today, 
looking back fondly at my journey.




5 Responses to “looking back”

  1. I use to make Holly Hobbie dolls , I bet I still have the pattern in my files .
    I really love your dolls

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Jenny, on the ongoing success of your Doll Making business, a wonderful achievement due to your hard work & and your eye for detail. I have just caught up with your postings of the last few weeks, as I had been on holidays and I thought you must have been away too. But then I realized that your blog had dropped off my 'reader', so I had not been alerted that you had posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So nice to read about your wonderful journey!
    In german we say "der Weg ist das Ziel" which means "the path (or journey) is the destination". Yes, that´s it!
    Even when you go in circles or back to the roots, it´s your experience that makes the difference.
    All the best and congratulations from the other side of the world,
    Jenny
    "Pflanzenfaerberin"

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nice to read about your journey!
    In german we say "der Weg ist das Ziel" which means "the path (or journey) is the destination". Yes, that´s it!
    Even when you realize that it was a circle or that you went back to the roots it´s the experience that makes a great difference!
    All the best and congratulations from the other side of the world,
    Jenny
    "Pflanzenfaerberin"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree with this blog post entirely my dear friend! Full circle I call it!

    Blessings!

    Samantha

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.