make it a vintage Sunday

3 Mar 2013

I want to share a lovely little magazine I was given for my birthday last year. 
It's an English magazine called Mother from August 1952.
 It's quite small, just 8" by 5.5". 
Was this because paper was still rationed or to make it cheaper to ship , I don't know.

It has articles, recipes, knitting and sewing patterns, stories, lots of help for young mothers, decorating ideas, an article about a family with 12 children, adorable family snaps
and of course lots of lovely old ads.
Enjoy.



Mother magazine August 1952


Mother magazine August 1952


Mother magazine August 1952


Mother magazine August 1952


Mother magazine August 1952


Mother magazine August 1952


Mother magazine August 1952


Mother magazine August 1952


Mother magazine August 1952


Mother magazine August 1952

3 Responses to “make it a vintage Sunday”

  1. Jenny I'll be back to read more of this, I've just had a lovely browse. I remember smaller magazines like this but don't know the reason either, I'll ask Mum. That knitting pattern for the shell jacket uses #13 needles to start and 3 ply yarn! I notice it also is for "up to 35" bust" -- that certainly says something about how the population's size has changed.

    Except for one or two of the big family nobody looks glum. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear MIL would love the Babycoach ad, as she often comments on the modern strollers/prams which have the baby facing the the other way and not facing their Mother. My MIL believes that Mother & baby should be able to see each other.
    I love the Holiday Snaps....wonder where & what all those children are doing now that they are grown up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankyou for giving me a peek at your magazine. I loved it!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.