Slideshow Widget

Budget talk




This grotty old book is my cooking textbook from school. 
I started using it in 1972 when I was in grade 7 and it has travelled around with me ever since.

This copy dates from 1969 and originally belonged to my cousin. 

The book was first published in 1966 and I believe is still in print today though I am sure it has been updated many times.

I thought you might be interested in the Family finance section.
If you click on the picture you can see a bigger version, click again and it should be bigger still.

How does it measure up with your budget plan?





6 Responses to “Budget talk”

  1. Jenny while reading through some of your recipes, which are great, I noticed that you have an Oscar. i have been thinking of trying to make mince in mine but as it is 25 years old the book for it is long gone and I wondered if you have made mince in your Oscar. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Madge, believe it or not I do have the manual for my Oskar. It recommends processing cubes of meat , a cup at a time for 5 to 7 seconds. I have only used it for mincing beef and chicken and only a handful of times. It worked well. I also just found out that the original Oskar, that you and I both have was made in France. I always thought as Sunbeam was an Australian company and everything was made here ( until recent times of course).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that Jenny I shall give the mince a try. Interesting they were made in France, I recently bought a Sunbeam frypan but do not see it going the distance that our Oskars have. I am afraid Sunbeam's quality and attention to detail appears to have dropped. Shame.

      Delete
  3. How times have changed -it would be nice to have a budget so simple! My highschool home ec text was Day to day Cookery mine has fallen apart with use and I'm hunting for another in every op shop I go to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is interesting that they don't mention educational expenses. We spend far more on education than we do on food or even housing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I used this to work out our budget I subtracted the school fees first and then applied it to what was left of our income.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.