Slideshow Widget

P1000727



Do you remember when you were a child and summers lasted forever and home was almost your whole world and your special toys were just like friends and the rituals of your family were how things were and you didn't know they could be any other way. 

 Do you remember when you went to visit a friend's house, maybe share a meal with them and they did things differently, maybe almost the same as at your house but not quite and somehow it felt more exciting than your own family and when you went back home you saw things with new eyes and maybe even felt a little guilty that you had for a moment judged the place and family who had been your whole wonderful world.



 Do you remember as an adult revisiting something or some place from your childhood, your private childhood that you shared just with your family and being rushed back at warp speed to that life, the smells, the feelings, the certainties and the anxieties, the hopes and the dreams, the rituals and rhythms.



me and my little sister 1964


 Do you ever think , now as a parent, that the home and life you give your children is their summer lasts forever world, and you are the mummy in the picture in their head that is home, while you still carry your own version of your summer childhood world around in your head and it colours everything you do whether you acknowledge it or not. 
Fancy that, you are a major player in a movie that will always be there for better, for worse, on the playlist in your child's head.


 Awesome and scary all mixed together.



Spring Beach, mid 1960s

2 Responses to “ ”

  1. Blissful post. I didn't realise how indelible my mummy role would be until I had time to be retrospective about my own childhood in later life. I am gratified that they (my children) have some charming memories in the fore and love to tell their stories just as you have today. I hope with the passing of time that they will not judge me too harshly on some of my failings. Experience has shown me that there are often a couple of interpretations of act 1 scene 1!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post and all so true. I am buying my kids a sprinkler today. <3

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.