Nita the insistent

7 Jun 2012

toadstools, fly agaric




I am working on a couple of dolls who should be ready for the shop tomorrow.
 I had intentions of making extra doll clothes to have for sale as well and some pocket dolls but  with working on the last of few custom dolls and having the lovely distraction of the company of my daughter  who is home on school holidays I didn't get as much done as I had hoped.


I was also hijacked by one of those insistent dolls, you know the ones, they just have to be made.
 Although I am trying to restrict my doll making to 'business hours' so that my evenings are free I sat down to watch  some of the jubilee goings on and decided I might as well do some dolly stuffing while I was relaxing.
I didn't get any further than the first doll though.
 I chose a doll with reddish brown skin and stuffed the legs and arms and then decided I would like to see what she would look like with her head and while I was doing that visions of  what she might look like with white hair started to dance around in my head.
 Next thing I knew I was making a dolly wig and pinning it in place.



illustration from Children of the Forest by Elsa Beskow



I grabbed my notepad to write down the ideas I had for her clothes and now today I have been stitching her wig in place and making those clothes ideas a reality.
 I can't show any photos tonight but I will definitely share as early as I can tomorrow morning.
 My inspiration for her clothes are  muscaria amanita  toadstools, like the ones that grow in my front garden, I also had visions of the Elsa Beskow illustrations in my head and this pretty fabric which came in a box of goodies from one of my dear customers.





Nita is all finished now, she is a 17" sweet child garden sprite doll and if all goes well she will be in the shop tomorrow.




4 Responses to “Nita the insistent”

  1. Can't wait to see Nita Jenny. I just love anything mushroom!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see her!! She sounds magical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She sounds like a very sprightly one!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.