27 Mar 2012






“GOING TO WALDEN 

It isn't very far as highways lie. 
I might be back by nightfall, having seen 
The rough pines, and the stones, and the clear water. 
Friends argue that I might be wiser for it. 
They do not hear that far-off Yankee whisper: 
How dull we grow from hurrying here and there! 
Many have gone, and think me half a fool 
To miss a day away in the cool country. 
Maybe. But in a book I read and cherish, 
Going to Walden is not so easy a thing 
As a green visit. It is the slow and difficult 
Trick of living, and finding it where you are.” 

found here

I have just discovered Mary Oliver's work and I am entranced.


One Response to “ ”

  1. oh, Mary Oliver is fantastic. Her poems routinely appear at weddings and funerals around here!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.