Christmas gifts for My Girl

22 Sep 2011

P1040245



This is a repost from my other blog, a follow up to the Toys for My boys post. My daughter already had access  to and played with most of the things we had given her brothers so her world wasn't all dolls and tea parties but it is what she preferred.





homemade, handmade and handmade-ish gifts we have given our daughter

waldorf/steiner cushion doll


P1010025




the old girls



PB230048




PB180020


waldorf/steiner doll
waldorf/steiner baby doll


handknit socks drying by the fire


smocked dress
painted wooden rainbow


cushion doll and dancing pixie



PA210024



small embroidered  and appliqued 'first star' pillow
picnic quilt
doll clothes
swirly skirts, like these
sun hat



yellow



sun bonnet
reconditioned dolly cradle


laundry bag


knitted animals and gnomes


P1050285




The little gnome seen here was knitted by a friend of mine.
She also gave me the instructions to make my own but they are clumsily  translated from German. I have used them to make my own little gnomes which I have done but I found a pattern here that seems so much simpler.
It makes a bigger gnome but I am sure if you substituted thinner wool and smaller needles you could make a smaller gnome. 
I haven't used it myself so let me know how it goes if you make one.



hand made home made Christmas
Katie used these plaited ropes for all kinds of things in dress up costumes and holding blankets of babies and leads for stuffed animals and extra reins on hobby horses and long braided hair for herself and so on and so on.

plaited woollen ropes
muslin/cheesecloth play clothes



PB150002



silk playclothes
fairy cape and skirt and wings



tuesday 1
In this picture, apart from my old toddler doll who has seen better days you can see that Katie made her own seasonal table in her bedroom with one of her silk playcloths on her cupboard and then her wooden rainbow and some felt toadstools mixed in with her other bits and bobs.

super hero cape
little house on the prairie outfit
finger puppets


hand made home made Christmas



P1040005


rag doll
pair of knitted socks


P1010954

Red Riding Hood



dolly afghan rug
knitted cuddly gnome



visitors



P1030514-1


tiny bead, pipecleaner and knitted dolls
appliqued laundry bag
appliqued library bag
knitted mobile phone socks
rainbow everything


P7220030



decorated scrap book
homemade blocks ( with bark still on the wood)
display board with criss-crossed ribbon
secret pocket wall hanging for keeping little secret treasures



a little bit of crochet and Smarties : : YUM


lump of clay
kite shaped rice bag
favourite coloured ribbons attached to a stick to dance and run with



summer dresses under a winter sky



Plus simple  things to buy such as skipping ropes, bags of balloons, water balloons, bubble blowers and bubble solution, whistles and drums and harmonica and tambourine, hula hoop, pretty coloured balls, juggling balls,child sized metal gardening tools, a little wheelbarrow, an umbrella, a  beach bag and beach towel, bucket and spade, kites for everyone, lots of books, lots of art materials, sewing set and a knitting set put together by me, packets of vegetable seeds, flower seedlings and gardening gloves, tea set, picnic basket filled with second hand china and home made napkins and cloth  and the list goes on and on ...so many ideas for girls and boys.



I would love to hear some of you suggestions for both boy and girl gifts, things you have made or seen or thought about making.

5 Responses to “Christmas gifts for My Girl”

  1. I did a similar post last year. I struggle now that my girls no longer play with toys. How to make or find items for teens that reflect our Waldorf life? I have recently made aprons with family recipes in the pockets, pajamas, lavender pillows with buckwheat hulls, fun bags. They still love a hand knit gnome peeking out of their stocking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know Sarah, the post toy years are really difficult aren't they although Kate, at 14 has asked for a doll this year giving me plenty of notice. Things for cooking are certainly popular gifts and books and sheet music but I have just about given up for the boys though my eldest at 22 says he would like a hand knit jumper ( sweater) but that will take me a year to make most likely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, my girls now like kits, so I have made up kits....fabric cut into squares for a small quilt, a pattern with fabric, fleece and soap, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this might be a handmade gift for this year: http://www.purlbee.com/the-purl-bee/2011/9/22/whits-knits-big-snowy-owl.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, he's a beauty isn't he. He will need a lot of stuffing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.