Andy Pandy and all that jazz

1 Aug 2011

   Andy Pandy from 'Watch with Mother' a book from the early 1960s filled with BBC children's programme characters.

With over 1000 views this Andy Pandy picture taken from one fo my vintage books  'Watch with Mother' is the most viewed  picture in my Flickr photsteam. 
Why, I do not know.


Our family got a television in 1963 when I was 4 years old.

At that time there were long periods of time when there was nothing on the TV and then around 2 or 3 pm in the afternoon the children's programmes were aired, Andy Pandy, Bill and Ben the Flowerpot Men, and Playschool are the main ones I remember from those very early days and I must say I found them very tiresome and boring except for Bill and Ben the flowerpot men which was mildly entertaining and I didn't watch the children's programmes often except if it was raining and I couldn't thing of anything, I mean anything else to do.








Cover  from 'Watch with Mother' a book from the early 1960s filled with BBC children's programme characters.




Andy Pandy and Looby Lou from 'Watch with Mother' a book from the early 1960s filled with BBC children's programme characters.







from 'Watch with Mother' a book from the early 1960s filled with BBC children's programme characters.




from 'Watch with Mother' a book from the early 1960s filled with BBC children's programme characters.








A few years later there was Adventure Island which I did enjoy







and the wonderful  Kimba the White Lion,  my very favourite.




6 Responses to “Andy Pandy and all that jazz”

  1. I LOVED Kimba. I remember Adventure Island, and I loved Owlies School too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious! I felt just the same way back here in England. I don't know about you Jenny but I found I could eventually understand Bill and Ben's nonsense conversations after a while. Little Weed was my favourite and the barn with a smily face! Eli x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jenny,

    I share the memories as I am just a few years older than you. I remember Mr Squiggle well but can't remember actually sitting down to watch TV until about half an hour before tea. I can remember that the national anthem was played before the stations stopped broadcasting for the night. I don't know why I remember that because I would not have been allowed to stay up that long!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting these - Loved them all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah Jenny memories.....loved Adventure Island and Kimba...I think I can still sing the theme song!!!!

    Anne From Brizzy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.