Slideshow Widget

normal

17 Mar 2011

P1080172





Up hideously early, 
woke in a sweat,
night sweats they call them,
thank you very much Mrs Menopause
I was enjoying my sleep.


Sit at the computer reading other people's words because somehow, in the witching hours between 3 and 5 am it is easier to read a glowing screen than the words printed on paper.

There is a rhythm to my sleeping,
early early mornings,
sleep in mornings,
normal mornings, 
early early,
sleep in, 
normal
round and round.

Waking in a sweat, needing a drink of water, a cup of tea.

Sometimes the very early hours are a gift, lots of thinking time and once my eyes have caught up with my body there is creating time as well.

Sometimes the very early hours are a curse, too many dark  and hopeless thoughts, not so often but sometimes.

Remember,
remember those times getting up to little ones,
trying to stay as asleep as possible so that  it was easier to get back into your dream when your head hit the pillow again, 
sometimes jolted fully awake though by the realisation of how precious this little person was.


These days I get up to attend to myself.

Must remember to  care for myself  as well as I cared for my little ones.




P1080166

11 Responses to “normal”

  1. I'll think of you when I'm sitting staring at my computer screen at 3:00 a.m.....:) Some nights I wonder why I even bothered going to bed LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Jenny, night sweats are no fun, as I know too well. You are utilizing your time better than I did; early morning reflections are no bad thing.

    Hope you sleep well tonight.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Must remember to care for myself as well as I cared for my little ones.

    Such true words Jenny. Hope your day goes well, despite the early start.

    cheers Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet Jenny, I am thinking of you and can relate to the many changes your body is going through. I am past that time in life, but I remember it well.
    Sending you hugs and caring thoughts.
    Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope your menopause is as short as mine was.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear. That does not sound fun at all. I guess those of us with young babies often think we are the only ones up in the wee hours; but now I will be thinking of you too when I am up with Ginger in the middle of the night.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can relate totally....At least you are making wonderful and magical use of your time awake with your lovely little dolls....I hope you sleep well tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These days, the falling asleep business is my challenge; so many thoughts darting through my mind. I'm glad you are tending to yourself; I also need to remind myself to take care of myself, somehow it is not second-nature like the parenting.

    I was channeling my "inner Jenny" yesterday with a few friends over for doll-making; stressing the care with which each stage should be taken, slowly and thoughtfully. The sweet doll you made for Hana was set out on the table as an example, along with our son's well-loved mama-made (11 yrs ago!) doll. They looked sweet together. :) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have you considered taking Vitex (also known as Chaste-berry? It is not a hormone but helps your body regulate all those raging hormones that women can have troubles with. I've used it for difficult cycles with great success and recently read that it is good to use for menopause as it helps with night sweats, hot flashes and mood swings.

    Hopefully this season in your life will pass quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah yes, I too am going thru the blankets on, blankets off stage, and waking around 3.00am and often moving to the spare room, so as not to wake my husband. And when at work opening the doors & windows claiming it's hot, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I had some sage advice, but all I can offer are kind words and virtual hugs. And in the States, we like to call them "POWER SURGES"... makes them easier to bear!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.