Slideshow Widget

24 Mar 2011

P9130037



Most mornings, whether I am sitting down to work on dolls or doing the housework I listen to the radio, to City Park radio.
At 9.30 every morning they read out an abridged version of the local newspaper including the personal announcements


Most mornings for the past few months, since about September last year I have listened to those personal announcements and thought how could I ever bear to hear the name of my own father read out, his life measured from his birth date to his death and mention of  his beloved wife Connie, his funeral notice inviting those who knew him to gather to pay their respects and celebrate his life.


This morning I did indeed listen to those words and it breaks my heart.
I know he is now at peace, the suffering he endured has ended and my mother's suffering at watching her beloved being lost to the numbness of dementia while being bedevilled by pain has also gratefully ended.


I am so proud of the way my mother cared for my Dad  right to the end,
I am in awe of her caring and strength as she sat watching the life slowly leaving his body through those last hours.


Thank you so much for your kind words of love and caring.

My dad was a good man, a kind man, a decent man whose love and loyalty for his wife and family was everything to him.

19 Responses to “ ”

  1. Jenny you have been in my thoughts. Hugs to you.

    cheers Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jenny and Family
    So sad to hear of your loss.Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers.
    Much love Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are in my thoughts and prayers...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dementia is such a horrible illness- I'm so sorry that you had to see your father succumb to it. May he rest in peace ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Jenny. The death of a parent is an event that I think we dread our whole lives. I have always enjoyed reading about your childhood and parents. Your father has always been portrayed as family oriented and dignified. May you find comfort, Tracy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a painful time for you. I am so sorry. It's hard to lose a beloved parent. My best wishes to you and your family especially your Mum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're in my mind and heart today Jenny. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sad news, condolences to you, your mum and all your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nobody should have to lose someone they love, yet everyone does at some time. My heart goes out to you and your family. I still have my parents and I dread the day I know I'll have to face. God bless you and give you peace as you mourn.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jenny, your dad sounds like one of those "ordinary" people who is actually so very special and extraordinary - your love for him is a clear sign of just how wonderful he was. I love reading about your family and the closeness you all share. I pray that you can all comfort and support one another.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jenny, I'm so sorry for the loss of your Dad. My prayers and thoughts go out to you and your family. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. No words I could write would ease your sadness, but I hope that my prayers will help get you through. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jenny I wanted to share a few lines that gave, and still give me great comfort when I lost my father years ago. They are from a book of poetry written by Danielle Steel (the romance author).
    'How much we said,
    how rich the gifts,
    how lucky we both were
    to be father, daughter, friend...
    and even now that you are gone,
    the joy of that will never end.'
    My hope is they may give you some slight comfort also X

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so sorry to read this Jenny. My Dad passed away on the 4th March. We flew back to NZ for his funeral. I am happy he is no longer suffering but I am finding it really tough right now. I know how you are feeling. Look after yourself xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sorry about your dad. This must be a very hard, strange time. . .May God give you the strength to bear these days and get through them and maybe even have a spot of joy.

    I like to know that your radio station is so personal and chatty.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.