Slideshow Widget

26 Mar 2011

My Dad, my Uncle Trevor and my Uncle Jack, early 1950s




It's a busy time after someone dies isn't it. 
So much to be arranged.
Lots of time for talking though, for coming together and reminiscing, mostly happy things and so far quite a bit of chocolate and coffee accompanying the proceedings.
My Dad had mostly a happy life, a happy childhood, good marriage, happy family. 
Nothing fearfully ugly that we have to avoid and not too much in the way of sibling  rivalries and  extended family hassles, thank goodness.


It is quite intense though isn't it, delving back into the memories.
Interesting too to see how people's versions of history are so different when we were all there together.


The interstate family members will start to arrive this weekend, more tears no doubt and more stories.

Mum is doing so well.
Kate was away on camp when Dad died so she saw Mum, Gran, for the first time yesterday and she said that Gran looks almost back to her old self, a little sadder but she looks as though a huge weight has been lifted off her little shoulders and she can relax again for the first time in months.


And who knows how many will be at the funeral, you put a notice in the paper and anyone who ever knew Dad can come or decide they would rather not.
The final popularity contest, it never ends does it.


So we are doing well here.
I feel the same sense of  release that Mum does I'm sure, not having to wake each morning and wonder how Dad's night went and how his day will go.
He is at peace now, off somewhere with his cheeky eyes and larrikin sense of humour, hoping for some decent football or cricket to watch.

Go Dessie.


17 Responses to “ ”

  1. I'm glad you are finding the peaceful ; you have a beautiful attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about different memories of the same experiences. I have 2 sisters, we grew up together, but we have different versions of our history.
    And life can be one long popularity contest if you let it. I prefer to leave that kind of thing up to the gregarious types, it takes too much energy.
    I come from a long line of quiet living people, so a big funeral does not necessarily indicate a good person, just a popular person, in my humble opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so comforting being surrounded by your loving family and friends...Please be sure to get some rest and take care of yourself and your sweet Mom...love, mare

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always been amazed, and comforted, by the reunions that take place when a loved one dies. We see people we haven't seen in years, and enjoy their company, and remember mostly the good times.

    I know you will celebrate your Dad's life. Take care, Jenny.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry to hear of your father's passing. I wish your family peace and happiness in your remembering him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Jenny, that photo reminds me of "The Sullivans" -- the house, the men and their clothing and their cheeky grins.

    Yes there is so much to do in preparation for a funeral and a bit of a sense of unreality isn't there? I think it's a bit like your own wedding, you're there but you're not. A bit of yourself is on the sidelines looking on and the rest of yourself is right in the middle.

    Hugs to you and your lovely Mum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thinking of you all Jen. It is a hard time and at times quite comical with some of the stories that come out. My thoughts are with you, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am thinking of you and your family Jenny, especially your Mum.
    Take care of yourselves.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Memories are indeed a blessed thing to hold...I am glad you have many good ones of your dear father....blessings to your family....Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jenny~My hearts and prayers go out to you and your family. I am sorry for your loss. I pray each of you feel comfort.

    Blessings,
    Sommer

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holding you and your family in my thoughts and prayers at this time.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry to read of your loss. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Praying for you and yours during this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Jenny,
    I'm so sad for your loss, and sorry to be late in the condolances. I hve been gone and just now catching up.
    Isn't it amazing how life twists and turns. That death can be painful, and also a sweet relief at the same time. Funerals are a good time to catch up and, catch hold of far flung loved ones again.
    My prayers are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so sorry for your loss. The price for being human is that we feel great joy with the birth of a baby and unmeasurable grief with every death. I believe the people who found your dad a delightful human being will be the people who matter to all of you as well. You will know who they are by their good deeds and by their compassion to your family during this difficult time and beyond. God Bless you all ♥

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.