Exhausted

29 Mar 2011

P1090632




Exhausted.

Exhausted from the emotions of yesterday's funeral,
exhausted  by the past week's events, 
exhausted from the past six months of constant thoughts of my dad and mum.


Happy.

Happy that my father's funeral was a sad but joyous time that left me feeling so grateful for the love of a good father 
Happy that I had the chance to be a part of this very intense family time as we , his wife and children planned for the final goodbye and celebration of his life.
Happy too that, although it was really tough so many times I was able to be such a close part of his final months.


Goodbye  Dessie ...




21 Responses to “Exhausted”

  1. [[[[[[]]]]]] That is a big gentle hug Jenny dear. You and your Mum take good care of yourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time to take care and rest and remember the sweet moments... xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy and sad, what a great way to describe your life at the moment.

    I have been thinking of you a lot lately

    ReplyDelete
  4. I lost my Dad quite a while ago (he was 63) after a year of illness. Never a day goes by that I don't think about him. Some little thing - a snippet of music, the smell of soil, a well-grown vegetable, or a funny saying from my grandson (who seems to be channelling his humour) will immediately conjure him. His presence, even after all these years is palpable. You will find this too, dear Jenny, because I sense how close you were to your Dad. He may no longer be physically there, but I know you will feel his presence often. The pain will diminish with time and the remembering is warm and wonderful. Mind you I can't listen to Vivaldi's Four Seasons (my Dad's favourite music which we chose for his funeral) without welling up.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy is good, your loving Dad would want that. A platitude, I know, but true.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It breaks my heart when someone loses a family member. One of my friends lost her brother recently, and following his death she was just so busy- organising the funeral, consulting family and friends etc. I imagine that the last few weeks have been extremley challenging for you. All you can do now is just grieve and focus on recovery- my heart goes out to you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My thoughts have been with you Jenny throughout this difficult time. Of one thing you can be certain, your Dad will never seem far away and when you need him he'll be at your side. Take care and love to the family, Eli x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Take care Jenny. Love to all of you. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm keeping you and your Mum and the rest of your family in my prayers. You are probably both more tired than you know and need to be gentle with yourselves and take time to rest and recuperate. How blessed your Mother has been to have you living so near to her and that you were able to be such a support for her during this difficult time.

    When my Mother was in her final months(at the age of 90) I had a 3 hour round trip to drive to visit her and my sister had a 6 hour round trip. I was working part time then, for a visiting nurse service and was able to have them rearrange my schedule so that I could have every Tuesday off so that I could be free to drive up and spend the day with my Mom. I am very grateful that I lived close enough to be able to go there each week and bring food I had prepared, shop for her, & help around the house etc. My stepfather was alive so she wasn't alone but there is so much a daughter can do. How blessed you are to have had such wonderful parents and to have been able to live so close to them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. God bless you Jenny, your loving family, and your dear Dad.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  11. I recall that exhaustion, despite the fact that it was nearly 23 years ago. Also memorable was taking a big breath at the end of all the hubbub and having a refreshing peace that came to dwell within.
    Thought of you when I heard Josh Groban's song Paradiso a day or so ago and offered a prayer for your strength.
    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  12. its very difficult i lost my dad over a year ago my way of dealing is not thinking about it but as said above a smell, a song, Chrstmas, the spring, the forsythia in bloom and reality breaks in Im glad u had a good dad and good memories. Im happy that its the good things in my life that remind me of my father:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My love and best wishes to you and your family dear Jenny.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Jenny, Have you ever heard of this poem? Whenever someone i love passes, this poem always makes me feel stronger and helps me to remember that Love never dies...

    Do Not Stand At My Grave and Weep
    - Mary Elizabeth Frye

    Do not stand at my grave and weep
    I am not there. I do not sleep.
    I am a thousands winds that blow.
    I am the diamond glints on snow.
    I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
    I am the gentle autumn rain.
    When you awaken in the morning's hush,
    I am the swift uplifting rush
    Of quiet birds in circled flight.
    I am the soft stars that shine at night.
    Do not stand at my grave and cry.
    I am not there. I did not die.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, Jenny. I offer prayers for your family.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.