Saturday morning

19 Feb 2011




It's a gorgeous rainy morning here. 
Everyone is fast asleep.
The garden has been so desperate for rain, I hope it rains all day.
I have a day of sewing and a little baking planned but things could change.
I fancy making some rock cakes.
It's one of Mum's recipes, always popular with men and boys and it makes enough to fill two biscuit tins.






Louis made it safely back from Bali.
Was I silly to worry, probably.
He liked it well enough but said he felt very sad about this little island that has reorganised itself around the needs and wants of tourists and visitors.





Some new yarns arrived yesterday and some pretty wooden buttons.
I am using the pink and mauve boucle yarn for a woodland sprite doll.
I hope she turns out to be just like the doll I have imagined.


I can hear Charlie happily quacking out the back, she of course loves the rain but can't quite convince the chooks that it's fun to be out in the wet.
They hide under the outdoor table and she waddles back and forth trying to tempt them  to come and play.


Thank you to everyone who comes to visit here each day.
Some of you have been visiting for a very long time and probably know me as well as I know myself.
It's a strange thing really to sit and write about the little and big things in my life, hit publish and share with whoever cares to read.

14 Responses to “Saturday morning”

  1. That's the beauty of blogging... we can yabber on and anyone can read if they want. Love your new yarns! They are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing with us Jenny.
    Yes it's raining here too, I'm hoping to get to the farmers market, think I'll just don my coat and boats and head out into it.

    cheers Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't the rain lovely. Do you have a good Farmer's market up the coast?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes the rain is great and it's so nice to be able to warm up rather than try and cool down.
    Burnie's farmers market is reasonable, it's my fortnightly outing and I don't like to miss it. I've been a bit disappointed with the fruit and veg this summer but it's not been a great season. Starting to feel like a local as I'm getting to know the stall holders. Think I will give my usual coffee at the outdoor tables a miss today, but i do love to watch the people, I'm such a sticky beak LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the little and big things, Jenny. Always a calming experience when I visit your blog. Oh, dear... that old teddy with the big head, what a cutie!

    Cheers - Joolz

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Teddy is gorgeous isn't he. He is only about 5 or 6 inches tall, a little Etsy gift I bought for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky you, cool and rainy. Hot and humid here..northern NSW...and I've just discovered I'm going to have to spend the day painting the bathroom, so the plumber can get in Monday and install things. My helper painter had to cancel as she's not well. Would rather be with you stitching in the cool Jenny.

    My funny chooks love the rain, but if I spray them with the hose to cool them, they run squarking like mad things.

    The yarn is pretty, can't wait to see your sprite...will she be knitted, or is the yarn for her hair?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The yarn is for the hair so it will be very pretty I think.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness! isn't fun that you are experiencing the slow "descent" to Fall and we are going on an upright walk to Spring. Love to come and visit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your little bits and bobs are adorable- I especially like the little gnomey guy. I love it when it's raining and you don't have to leave the house. Baking sounds like a nice way to spend the day :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jenny, It's humid here in Melbourne, with grey clouds rolling past. No, you were not silly to worry about Louis; isn't that what Mums do? My Granmother in her mid 90s still worried about her son in his 50s riding his pushbike to work. Once a Mum always a Mum! Enjoy your day. from Jenny McH

    ReplyDelete
  12. love visiting, jenny! it's so nice to get a breath of homey and crafty goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love reading about your life there. We are waiting for 12 inches of snow to begin here so it will be a nice long weekend with our President's day holiday Monday. I am taking a break from the quilt I need to finish soon, it's a special wedding gift.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just a quick question; how do you stop the fruit in rock cakes from burning? Do you soak the fruit first? I love rock cakes but find the high oven temp burns the fruit on the outside of the buns.

    In fact, you've inspired me. I might make some today!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.