Slideshow Widget

29 Jan 2011




The most effective kind of education is that a child should play amongst lovely things.

                               Plato (427 - 347 AD)


I don't think Plato was just talking about toys and I think 'amongst lovely things' also means the house , the garden, the parks, the natural forest and bushland.
Think of every place your child spends time.
Are those places lovely ?

The parts that you have control over, your home and garden, are they filled with lovely things,
 things that please the eye, 
that are nice to touch,
that smell lovely,
are the sounds, human and otherwise, pleasant to listen to?
Is there order and space so that the lovely things can be appreciated ?

You know I am not talking about expensive works of art but the beauty of everyday things and life.
I think we all should play amongst lovely things, don't you?

15 Responses to “ ”

  1. I couldn't agree more. Which is why it is so important to be vigilant about the ugly things that can steal into our homes undetected via the computer. I have grown up children, nearly flown, so it wasn't a problem when they were very young, but it began to be more difficult when they were in their teens and for the very young now it is the genie out of the bottle, bearing good and bad wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully expressed, Jenny. And I completely agree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with what you said. I have often thought of the school I went to: which was an old tudor mansion with rambling outbuilding classrooms, just a beautiful setting. Compared with very ugly schools that some children go to and you have to wonder what effect it has on them.

    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful post Jenny - I agree - let them see beauty and wonder in what is at hand - leaf colours, flower petals, hairy caterpillars, snail shells, rain drops in sand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful words of wisdom, Jenny and such a lovely, nostalgic vintage illustration,
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do agree....yours is a lovely home indeed Jen....blessings

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, thank you, Jenny! This is exactly what I needed at this time. I've felt myself in such a rut this week as a parent and otherwise. I'd never read that quotation by Plato. Brilliant! I will keep this with me! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you for sharing the quote. yes, i agree, we should all surround ourselves with lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very thought provoking Jenny.
    It's made me see my home through fresh eyes today,and i think there are some areas that could do with some more lovely things, or just a rearrange and freshen up.

    cheers Kate

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so agree!!you have a sweet blog this was my first stop and I will be back!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this Jenny! What a true sentiment - I am trying hard to see beauty in the simple things more often and to make the simple things more beautiful at our house.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hugs to you, Jenny, on a beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My eye caught the postcard (I used to sell them!) and then I went on to read your lovely post. It's minus 12C today, I will go play in a lot of wool :o) natalie

    ReplyDelete
  14. yes of course! it's all about surrounding them with beauty, simple beauty. I love to come and see your blog because it makes my mornings pretty, how about that? thank you!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.