14 Sep 2010




This was on the TV last night.

Did you watch it?

Have you seen it?


I loved everything about it it - the wonderful Cornish scenery, the house, the costumes, the acting, the small housewifely details, the knitting, the garden, the afternoon tea, the breakfasts,the lunches ...

One little detail that was so endearing, the way the two sisters straightened the living room before they went to bed, just gently plumping up the cushions.


I loved their clothes and their beautiful grey hair, they looked the way older women should look.
Even Kate said that was the way she wanted to look when she is a Granny and Andy thought that old women today dress badly compared to the women in the film.
And I must add I loved the aprons and pinnies they wore especially those worn by Judi Dench.


It isn't a huge story, they say it's a fairy tale and it is a quiet little story.

I loved the acting of the three women, Judi Dench, Maggie Smith and Miriam Margoyles.

The relationship between the two sisters and the weight of a history, World War I, which took so  much from many women for the decades that followed, husbands and boyfriends lost or very damaged, and a new war brewing in Europe to touch another generation of men and women - subtly told but wonderful.


But most of all I loved all the domestic detail and I have ordered it from the library so I can look at it all again.
( And yes I do judge films on knitting and domestic detail - don't you)

22 Responses to “ ”

  1. I LOVE this movie. I rented it when I was looking for a sweet movie for my mom and I to watch. She was enchanted and so was I. A complete surprise when I rented it. I'm just now ordering it for my self to watch with friends. So I can remember how much fun I had eating popcorn, and listioning to my mom "tell" me how she thought it was going to end. Thank you for the special rememberance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea, it's so lovely to hear from you. I'm going to share the film with my mum too, I might even buy a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds brilliant, thanks for sharing it, I'll check it out on iView.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I missed it, but it sounds like a lovely way to spend an afternoon when I'm home alone. Think I'll have to put it on hold at the library too. Thanks for bringing it to my attention Jenny.

    cheers Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw this when it first came out--loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't seen it in a while, but remember it was an endearing film.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, this is a favourite of mine, too. I actually found it at a video rental shop for sale for $2.50 (ex rental) much to my delight. Jenny, have you see the miniseries Cranford? Different era of course, but I think you would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jenny, I LOVE this movie and proudly own it on DVD. I am heading off in 2 weeks for my first ever overseas trip with my daughter and we are heading to Cornwall, (I have the knitting packed to take with me!) so very excited to see this part of England. Thank you for your inspiring blog. I check in almost every day (but sadly only comment about 1 a year)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been intending to watch this film for such a long time, Jenny. Recently , I have been thinking how there are so few watchable films that I haven't already seen. Now I have been reminded I am going to order the DVD (I will do my knitting at the same time along with tea and scones of course!)
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I watched this film with hubby when we were staying at a B&B a couple of years ago. It was enchanting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this movie,too.Now I have it on DVD.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Noooooooooooooooo, I knew I should've watched it, but someone else in the household wanted to watch Good New Week. Shall just have to hire the DVD.
    All th e things you described are just the sort that I would enjoy.
    Kicking myself, oh well, next time I shall just have to put my foot down big time!!
    Ooh, I see Rose has mentioned iView, hmmm... perhaps all is not lost.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I watched it last night (for the 2nd time) and particularly noticed the quiet elegance of their clothes this time too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Of course I judge them on domestic detail! You have reminded me of how much I'd like to watch this film again - maybe with a bit of sewing to keep it company. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank-you so much for the recommendation, Jenny. We have not had a TV for five years; I'd rather rent from the library something worth watching, and this sounds just the ticket :-)

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello, first visit here - lovely blog.
    I've seen this film too, a beautiful and gentle film.
    Eve

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm a little bias about film made in Cornwall. I was born and brought very near where Ladies in Lavender was filmed, it is my country. The domestic detail makes this an extra special watch.

    ReplyDelete
  18. JAM, I loved *every single thing* about this film that you did! It was beautiful, the movie, and your post (gave me the *best feelings* reading it, and I love good feelings :o). I might just have to go and get it at the library, tonight or tomorrow, curl up and and have another good-watch (I am for certainly, watch-anything-I-love-again-and-again-and again-girl). I won't tell you how many times I've seen it, or you might make fun of me--which wouldn't give me a good feeling (and I love good feelings! ;o) Love you. JAR

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love it and have not seen it in a while, I think it will be added to my netflix que!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved it, too. What a cast and I agree, old ladies are pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I adore this movie too! And I totally agree with you on the domestic detail - I judge books the same way :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I adored this movie! There are not many movies out there that I will watch...this one was of the great onesj! I am going to add this to my movie collection. Yours, Rosemary

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.