Slideshow Widget

Pocket of Time

31 Jul 2010




It has been raining all night, it's still raining now, softly. 

I woke early, lit the kitchen fire, fed the cats and made a cup of coffee. 

I grabbed a pocket of time this morning,  and  began making a doll for Niche.

Yesterday the wool stuffing I had ordered arrived, a large impressively taped up parcel that once opened exploded with wool, soft, creamy white.
New hair yarn too, soft fluffy mohair.



A dear sweet little doll head has been made.
My work table is tidy and inviting, waiting for more little people to come to life.


Niche is only four weeks away. 
There will be many dollies made. 
I feel well set up with all the ingredients to indulge myself in an intense period of  making.


Oh, and July's shop update has been postponed until we get our full internet service back as uploading photos is impossible at the moment.
I will be updating the Red Umbrella and my Etsy shop on 6th August.



8 Responses to “Pocket of Time”

  1. Good morning Jenny, what a lovely start to the day, we've had rain too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one of my favorite Carl Larsson prints! I was introduced to him through his beautiful book A Home (I hope you have it or know it).
    I am a morning person who adores a bit of quiet work by myself before the house wakes up. Your morning sounds just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely print!

    I do love your dollies...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Larsson painting as well - the air of domestic calm in his work is wonderful and evocative!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's still seems magical to me that you are in your winter while I while away my days in summer heat. Although, your winter, I am certain, is nothing like my New England winter!
    I just wanted to pop in and say thank you for inspiring me, as I have decided to try my hand at making a doll. I found a pattern for Betsy McCall that was made in 1956, so it fits with my project and we shall see what comes of it.
    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Donna, I just visited your blog and left a comment about your doll project and you must have been visiting me at the same time. I'm sure you will enjoy making your vintage doll.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello there.....I've only just found your blog through a link from WHAT KATIE DID. Absolutley adore your dolls and the illustrations you use.
    Florrie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so happy to have stumbled into your little Blog world. Such a calming place to visit. Love the sound of all the wool so soft exploding, must be like Christmas :) Love your dolls, Catherine x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.