Help.

1 Jun 2010

Middle Brighton Beach



Much to my surprise I will be visiting Melbourne later in the year. 

I'm looking for suggestions for good things to do and good places to eat.



I lived in Melbourne from 1978 until 1987 , I lived in the City, North Melbourne, South Yarra and Prahran.

Loved the life we had there,
loved the restaurants and coffee shops, 
the pubs and cafes,
the Prahran market,
the book shops,
the clothes shops,
the museums and galleries,
the parks,
the football,
 the people,
the old trams
the red rattler trains,
the Bay,
the Yarra,
the Dandenongs,
the Peninsula,
the Yarra Valley.



I have hardly been back there since, just passed through on my way to NSW to visit relatives.


So, please, tell me about what to do and see and eat in Melbourne 2010 style.




Flinders St Station

14 Responses to “Help.”

  1. Hello, have been following your blog for a few months now but have not commented before......I really enjoy your musings, always look forward to my daily dose of Little Jenny Wren :-)...it took me quite a while but I have managed to go back and read your blog from the very beginning.
    My sister and I are planning to go and visit Heronswood Garden/Cafe @ Dromana, it is where the Diggers Club started, they have an online gardening club where you can buy heirloom seeds and plants, the fruit & vegetables at the cafe are also from the gardens.
    Thankyou for always providing such an interesting read.....
    Di - Launceston

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Di, thanks for taking the time to say hello and to read back through my blog - what an effort. well done.

    I actually have relatives who live at Dromana so they might get a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jenny,
    I agree-- Heronswood is a great place. Gardens are fabulous- very inspiring! The food they make there in the cafe is all seasonal from their garden. There is also an original homestead nearby.. (I think McCrae's?) it is interesting. As for eateries, it does depend on what you like. If you are visiting the Dandenongs, I recommend the Kallista tea rooms- great scones and homemade jam, lovely people. I live around the corner and go there a lot. If you are down Dromana Way, go to Sorrento and catch the ferry across the bay to Queenscliff. Really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes-- of course you MUST visit Winterwood in Park Orchards!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you are looking for cheap eats on a day out in Melbourne city try Noodle Kingdom on Russell St. The serves of noodles are delicious, cheap (about $8 a meal) and huge. One meal could easily serve two (in fact we always took home a doggy bag each). It is one of the places my husband and I most miss since leaving Melbourne. ( A review here http://yourrestaurants.com.au/guide/?action=venue&venue_url=noodle_kingdom_melbourne_cbd)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry can't help you at all, but wanted to say have a safe and happy trip.

    cheers Kate

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh yes-- Go to Lygon Street-- great book shops open really late, and great restaurants. We go to Trevi all the time. Visit the museum too. It has changed a lot and is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The parks are still great, stroll down to the Tan track around the botanical gardens and see everyone out riding bikes and jogging etc. You might enjoy poking around the laneways off Flinders St. My fav. place is the old Abbotsford Convent and the Collingwood childrens Farm if you've got time to take a tram out from the city. Where will you be staying Jen?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Tan, we are staying near the MCG. We won't have any transport apart from our legs and public transport.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jenny,

    haven't commented on your blog for some time now, but read it every day....I just love how you express how I feel!! As a proud Melbourne girl, you have to see the laneways in the city and have a soup from the amazing soup cafe hidden in one of them. Then allow yourself some time to see the Titanic exhibition at the museum. And a trip into The Nicholas buliding is a MUST for any crafty person!! Enjoy your trip!
    jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi!

    I am a sucker for high tea and love it from the Windsor! Very tasty! I also like china town, Post-deng cafe is very tasty and reasonably priced! Vlados does a very good set menu but is pricey and very meaty, my husband loves it! Some of the cake shops in Ackland street are very good if you have a sweet tooth! There is a cute little little tea house in block arcase of colins street call Hopetoun Tea Rooms which is very sweet. I hope this is helpful! I really like your blog, it is very lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jan, thanks for the suggestions. i have no idea where the Nicholas building is but i will have to find out. I have always loved exploring the lanes of Melbourne. when I first moved there as a uni student i lived in Lonsdale St and spent many hours on weekends wandering the city. Stephen and i used to go to a Jazz Club off Flinders Lane, can't remember what it was called just at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great suggestions Meg. I used to go the Hopetoun Tea Rooms a hundred years ago and I was even taken to High Tea at the Windsor by an old family friend, heavens that would be 30 years ago. I'm sure Kate would love it, and the boys would love it too of course.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Jen - Oooh Melbourne - totally agree with the Abbotsford Convent suggestion - there is a beautiful woodfired bakery there and it is a peaceful place to stop and you can go for a lovely walk along the Yarra as well - almost walkable to get there from the MCG if you were up for it. Otherwise a beautiful walk along the Yarra to Fed Square - they have a costume/ fashion exhibition on at the Gallery there I believe and then on and up through Hosier Lane to see the cool street art before heading down Flinders Lane to the right and finding Centre Lane - a great spot for coffee or treat (or turn left into Degraves Lane and find the cupcake shop!!). My other favourite spot is Pellegrini's cafe -an institution for great coffee and home cooked italian food- MCG end of Bourke Street. and then there is Fitzroy - Stop for a quick visit at Meet me at Mike's on Brunswick STreet near corner of Gertrude - then a wander down Gertrude for some cool vintage shops. You are really near the Exhibition centre and Museum here too (at end of Gertrude to the West)... I could go on and on and on ... Have a wonderful time xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.