The Tamar Valley

3 May 2010

goodies from the market at Deviot



Lovely treat yesterday, with glorious weather we headed up the river to Deviot to visit their Sunday market.
Such a lovely friendly market, lots of produce, jams, relishes, chutneys, olive oil, cakes, flowers,wines, paintings, hand crafts, woodwork, metalwork.
Beautiful setting in and around the Deviot Hall.


Those who don't live in Australia might not know the significance of a local hall, a village hall really only we don't use the word village much in Australia.


Every little settlement has a Hall, it's where the community comes together especially when there isn't a local school. In some communities it is used for church services but mostly it is used for the local groups to have their meetings, used as a Polling Booth at elections times, used as a focus for a local history collection of photos and books, used by sports groups as there is often a tennis court or netball court close by. 
They are special places that need to be preserved and used and respected for the vital role they play in small communities because their existence and maintenance recognises that there is a community that needs and wants to come together.
I always think it is so sad when a hall is sold  or dismantled.


Anyway, the Deviot Hall looks to be in good health as does the Deviot community.

We had a long chat with the man from St Raphael's olive oil, we sampled everything that was offered and bought some oil, honey, quinces, jams, organic garlic, an apple for Stephen and Kate had a big fat muffin.


I met Lee from Killiecrankie Christmas Tree Farm  and had a long chat and then we drove home admiring the beautiful and very green Tamar Valley. 
Home to a sleepy house full of sleepy cats and a sleepy Andrew.




maggie in crochet corner

11 Responses to “The Tamar Valley”

  1. The honey looks delicious! I love fresh honey, straight from the hive. The supermarket stuff is always such a disappointment...
    ~S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That olive oil sounds lovely but all the market goodies look great. I'm scared of quinces...should I be?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sorcha, the honey is Prickly Box honey and it has been creamed because it candies so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rose, the olive oil is actually for my sister-in-law for her birthday. And I , too, am scared of quinces. I have bought them before but not actually done anything with them except look at them because they are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What exactly is a quince?

    Sounds like a lovely trip. We hope to be taking a trip this fall and hopefully visit some family along the way. I'm looking so forward to it.

    Garden season must be tended to first, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, your kitty is just beautiful. I love the idea of "the hall" and it reminds me of all the halls and granges around my childhood home. I am watching Lark Rise to Candleford and I eagerly wait for each installment. I'm reading the book, too. I'm absolutely crazy about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything you show and talk about is so beautiful today! In France we have 'Salles Polyvalents', which are equivalent to your halls, I think. We were really impressed when we moved here and found so much going on in the rural salles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the atmosphere at farmers markets.Buying all the home produce.Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry for my ignorance, is the olive oil local there?

    Interesting notes about the halls.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A quince is related to the apple and pear but can only be eaten once it is cooked. People make quince pastes which is yummy with a good cheddar cheese or the local crumbly cheese.
    You can read about it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quince

    ReplyDelete
  11. Linda, Olive oil is a fairly new product in Tasmania. I think there are a couple of producers in the Tamar Valley. The valley also produces a lot of wine and is also well known for its apples and stone fruits.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.