Radical Homemakers

7 Apr 2010



Some of you may already be familiar with Shannon Hayes book  ' Radical Homemakers'.

Certainly many who read my blog would see themselves as Radical Homemakers whether they want to be a part of a movement with a name or not. 

Here is an link to an article by Shannon Hayes describing what she means by this term.
See what you think.



8 Responses to “Radical Homemakers”

  1. Fascinating article - I've saved it for a really thorough read later, but on a first browse, that's really interesting. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting article!!! I was interested to hear about the women going to the workforce "in droves" once a book told them that their lives were boring, mundane and pointless. It would be at that point that I think I would look inward...and learn to make my life meaningful at home, rather than abandon that post and run out and try to "find myself" somewhere else!

    You definitely gave me a lot to think about. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jenny,
    thanks for posting this article link. I had seen Sharon's book cover, but had skimmed over it. Now that I have read the article I would really like to read her book.

    I feel like I am constantly trying to convince the world ( and often myself) on the value of professional motherhood - as the most important job. I love the way Sharon expressed this concept.

    In my home my husband and I share domestic chores. At one stage he even became the 'stay home wife' while I went back to work.

    In our current arrangement, I would have to say that by Sharon's definition I am a radical homemaker. I see the home as the vehicle for providing for and contributing to our family and our community.

    Don't you think it is funny though, that to be a 'homemaker' is such a radical concept ? I wrote a reflective post once about choosing to stay home and change the world from within and to embrace the role of professional homemaker and I received that many negative comments and ridicule that I ended up deleting the post ( wish I hadn't now, but was so worried about offending people then). Now I think 'wow' who would have thought that choosing to stay home could insight such vicious attacks from other women - I NEVER knew it was such an emotionally charged topic!

    My view has changed somewhat now. I think the feminists of days gone by did a fantastic job and what they gave us in the end was ......... choice. At the moment, in this season of my life.... as a well educated woman..... I choose to be a professional homemaker.

    Thanks again, this article was really encouraging and has got me thinking!

    Kind regards,
    Michelle
    (from A Vision Splendid)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jenny, interesting,I have always thought a mothers place is in the home bringing up your children with your values and principles.Even when I had to work I only did so within school hours and was home to pick them up from school. Whats always amazed me is career women, say they have it all. Still need people like me for child care before and after schoolAll thru my children at school I felt like the odd ball wanting to be at home caring for our home and gardening,when all around me were house cleaners and gardenrs,while the owners of the houses were out making money to pay these people.Now I'm older and wiser I see I was the smart one all along!Take care Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenny, thanks for those links! I have printed a heap to read at lunchtime -- both of those look like the best new links I've seen in ages. Thanks, hope it's a good day for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read the book yet, but was inspired to blog on the topic myself after reading a great interview with Hayes in Mary Jane's Farm Magazine. I was so tickled when I saw this on your blog, because you and Rhonda Jean (Down To Earth) were among the first to come to mind as I was reading the article!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been in both worlds, the working world and the homemaking world. The working world was not my choice, but having the situation thrust upon me, I did the best I could. My choice and place of happiness and contentment is the homemaking world.

    I have embraced the role of the "Biblical Help Meet." I would not use the adjective, "ultra" when describing my religious beliefs, nor am I silent and powerless.

    My life choices are compatible with those who are concerned about environmental issues, but we define community differently. Neither, however are my focus. I am much more concerned with our personal environment as well as our personal lives as we must deal with the culture at large.

    At least from my observation and living through those times, few women in the 60's and 70's entered the workforce because they were bored or depressed. The woman's magazines, popular television shows, and movies painted a glorious picture on how a women could have it all and be better off than the housewife. No one wanted to be left behind; the income, although deceptive, was a draw as well.

    I thought it was an interesting perspective. We look at the same issues with different glasses.

    Dorothy's Daughter

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for posting about Radical Homemakers! We here at YES! Magazine love Shannon's writing. In fact, she's been blogging regularly on our site. If you're interested, more of her writing is available here: www.yesmagazine.org/blogs/shannon-hayes.

    Sara
    YES! Magazine

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.