Crochet crazy

5 Apr 2010

pink and red dolly blanket



I dabble in crochet, I can almost  follow a pattern but mostly I make it up as I go along.

The thing I like about crochet is I feel free to just use scraps and bits and bobs of yarn.

I don't have to have a plan.
Maybe I should but to me crochet is like a scrap patchwork quilt - I just use what I have.


My Gran was an A1 crochet lady. 
When I knew her she mostly made doileys and lace collars, she liked to work in very fine cotton thread. 
She wore her mothers glasses to see what she was doing and used her mother's crochet hooks, very fine they were, like hooked wire.


I know she made us little dresses when we were babies , crocheting in soft baby wool and Mum has a large Granny square rug that Grannie made for my brother more than fifty years ago. 
It's backed with some soft flannelette.



pink and red dolly blanket



So I am making a small dolly blanket like the one my Grannie made me many years ago.

I took out my drawer of pink and red yarns, with a little bit of mauve thrown in and off I went.

Can you believe I have even managed to keep the edges straight - I know, I'm amazed too.

Do you like to crochet?
Can you follow a pattern or fly by the seat of your pants?




14 Responses to “Crochet crazy”

  1. I crochet rag rugs out of old clothing! Such fun, and I fly by the seat of my pants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I...stared at YouTube tutorials for HOURS one night, when I was having a tiff with the hubs, and taught myself to make a granny square. That was several months ago, and I'm sure I've forgotten by now. ;-)

    The blanket looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Granny squares are my limit. I've never followed a pattern. Maybe I should try a new pattern, I love the idea of a crochet rug backed with flannel, how soft and warm that would be.

    cheers Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favourite things to crochet are jug covers. I love the intricacy and the glass beads as weights. They also add a touch of nostalgia to the tea tray as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm doing the same thing, Jenny! I try to follow the directions but they seem so tedious. I have taken to doing my own thing, too. I did buy some fantastic new hooks. I put a picture of them on my post a few days ago and the crocheters want some now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the colours that you have used for your dolly blanket. My Mum tried to show me the basics a few years ago, but I have never made anything. About 3 years ago I made a swap with my Mum, I made her a patchwork wall quilt. The design was of 12 blocks, each embroderied with tea cups with flowers in each teacup. Mum crochet me a knee rug, making Granny squares in colours I had chosen, Lime green, raspberry, lilac, cream and soft gold. I love the idea that we each have a piece of the other's handwork. from Jenny McH

    ReplyDelete
  7. The dolly blanket is just beautiful...I am so jealous...I have never been able to crochet. My mother, grandma and aunties were all right handed...I am a lefty...no one to teach me. I do love to sew, my mother taught me at age 9, I am 35 now...I can make just about anything.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its like another language to me! Shameful seeing as I use so much of it in my dressmaking, thank god for my mother, she is a pattern follower, maker and fly by the seater :) Your crochet looks gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cheerful little rug, I am crochet a blanket at the moment, in a hexagon pattern, that is six sides instead of 4 but is the same sort of pattern as a granny squares. I haven't done much crochet for the last couple of years and while I often fly by the seat of my pants I can follow a pattern pretty well. I was taught the basics by my father when I was around 8-10 and then my aunt taught me some finer skills, both my grandmothers crocheted, dad's mum did dollies etc the other more blankets etc. As i am left handed they didn't think that I could be taught but starting so young I just did it the same as the person teaching me, so i can crochet and knit right handed but also knit left handed or european style. Love your work and seeing what you are making thanks for sharing.
    jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  10. yes, i've been on quite a crochet jag lately; toys, pincushion, coasters, decoration for clothes. i really like the colors of your blanket!

    best - annri

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do love to crochet but,I would love to learn to knit as you do...I have been trying and won't give up easily...smile...your dolly blanket is going to be wonderful...love the colors....please,show it again when you are done...I would love to see it then...blessings on your week dear Jennie....Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do like to Crochet. Like you I can almost follow a pattern. I love Granny Squares of all kinds. I buy almost any blanket I find in the thrift stores. I hve a thing for the black and colored ones, combinations. I think the best thing any one ever said to me about knitting or Crocheting, is I love that you take those stirings and make something out of almost nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love to crochet, it reminds me of my granny and the hours we spent doing it together.I like it as you can put it down and take it up without any fuss.I love Granny square blankets I've made one each for my grandchildren and they love them,what great colour conbo in yours .Very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i love these colours! your hot cross buns in the post below look wonderful too :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.