Slideshow Widget

knitting needles

16 Feb 2010

tools of the trade



Tools of the trade. 
Knitting needles.

I like the metal ones if they have just the right point and the old  casein ones, from the op shop which if they are skinny ones do have a tendency to snap in the middle of  the works.
I haven't tried any new casein needles, like these ones from Swallow needles

And I used to love the old tortoiseshell ones best of all but I haven't got many of them left.

What about you?


tools of the trade




27 Responses to “knitting needles”

  1. i have a stack of knitting needles too....and made of different materials. i do prefer the metal one so much smoother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jenny! Your bundle of knitting needles looks a lot like mine. Recently I tried bamboo needles which are okay and my sister gave me a pair of Rosewood needles that are lovely. I still prefer the metal needles though, they're quicker. I have no tortoseshell needles left, they all snapped.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Debbie, It's amazing how many you collect isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rhonda, the metal ones are faster aren't they. I don't have any wooden needles in sizes that I use. I do have some bamboo which are OK. I have a lot of size 5.5 and 6.5 mm wooden needles from when the Coats Patons mill closed down - I didn't buy them but somehow they came to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like bamboo ones, I don't like the noise the metal ones make. When I was a kid I liked to use my Mum's tortoise shell ones but stupidly I let her give them away to someone else when she was passing on her treasures. I still regret it to this day..but oh well that's life. Most of mine have come from opshops except the bamboo ones.

    cheers Kate

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jenny, I use metal ones. I bought some rosewood ones but snapped them in half the first time I used them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now you see Kate I really like the click clack of metal needles. Isn't that funny. It makes me feel grown up. When I was a little girl my mum used to take my sister and me when she went to visit her friends for morning tea. There would be cups of tea and nice cake and my sister and I and our hostesses children would play quietly while our mothers chatted and knitted, click clack, chit chat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Rose I hope they weren't expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the metal ones too if the point is right (not too sharp but not too rounded either!). But lately I have been loving my shorter bamboo needles. Just the right size to knit a little jumper or hat! And I don't have to worry about losing a stitch as easily...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Angela.Yes the point has to be just right doesn't it. I am always on the look out for short needles especially in smaller sizes for knitting doll clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jenny, I prefer to use metal ones as they seem to have a 'weight' about them. Not to mention the sound when you're using them...reminds me of days visiting my nan (who taught me to knit). I have a couple of pairs of bamboo needles, which I don't really get on with, and some plastic ones.

    But my first choice is always metal.

    I love your site, by the way - your dolls are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi anon and thank you. There's that click clack again. Are you an Aussie, do you remember the click clack Cleckheaton ads?

    ReplyDelete
  13. 2 years ago, I was given some Addi's for a Mother's Day gift.
    I haven't used another needle since.
    I splurged on the interchangeable Addi's, last year and love love love them.
    A very slight audible click clack, and amazing weight, combine to create a sublime knitting experience.

    I'm curious to trial 'Signature Needles', being able to design your own needle has some appeal, point, length, even the end.
    Although I have to wonder if it will stack up against German ingenuity.

    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Caroline, they sound wonderful. I have heard of Addis but not seen them locally. I don't think I could design my own knitting needle, easier just to find a brand you really like perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the wood needles, they are so warm and smooth in my hands. But the wood ones are expensive, so I only have one pair of them. I have several bamboo and love their feel, too. I will use plastic ones if the point is skinny. I have some metal needles, but don't like them at all. It's all a matter of preference, isn't it? The "point" is, we enjoy the skill as much as the finished product, so we use what we like best!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have lots of them too. Picked up over the years at garage sales etc. I do like wooden ones. They are really nice to knit on. I also liek the metal ones and have lots of them. I have all the sizes but the small ones are almost untouched. I don't have enough nerve to knit that small very often. But I'm progressing :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I find metal needles hurt my fingers (I have a bit of arthritis in my joints) so I prefer wood which is warmer. I just treated myself to a set of knitpro interchangables and have to say I am loving them so far!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love metal needles...and I agree the click that they make while I work is lovely..it makes me feel that I'm really accomplishing something! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh Jenny, your story of the morning tea visits and knitting sounds just wonderful. I used to love the click clack sound when others are knitting but when I'm knitting that metal sound just puts my teeth on edge. The same as stirring a pot with a metal spoon or scraping out the pan with a metal utensil. I love the way we are all different though and has this post got some interesting comments.
    cheers Kate

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love metal ones for fine work because they have lovely slip and make the work faster. I like the sound too and the point is soooo important. I like to knit while I'm watching something else so if the point is fine and nicely tapered then I can knit without watching my work or getting "ply splits" (is that a term?)For bulkier heavier items I do like plastic or wood to slow it down some, but again, the point is so important.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Jenny,

    www.signatureneedlearts.com it was a lot of fun trying out different points, lengths, colours etc.

    Maybe a future Mother's Day gift.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I never knew about these needles! They look divine. However, if they compare in texture and use to aluminum needles, they might not be best for me--I prefer bamboo or ebony because of the slight texture it has. Because I knit somewhat loosely, I find that the natural texture in wooden needles holds my stitches a little better. But all of the pretty colors that your collection has... it's sooooo pretty!

    (purlytwirly.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Jenny I've been looking at blocking on ravelry. I've never blocked anything I've knitted. I can definitely see the need on lacey delicate designs, but do you block jumpers and bulky knits? If so would you write a blog post about it please?

    cheers Kate

    ReplyDelete
  24. I fight with metal needles - pesky slippery things! My favourite pair are wooden bought in a clearance sale for 99cents. I also have a few plastic pairs that are comfy to use. Would love a set of interchangeables with wooden tips but probably don't do enough knitting to justify the purchase LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I guess it depends on what I'm knitting, but lately I've been using plastic or bamboo because they (1) hold my stitches better and (2) don't get as cold as the metal needles. My hands get freezing after a while! That's why I decided to try plastic in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have mostly metal, a few old plastic ones that I inherited, some wood (which I love but they are expensive and they do break) and one pair of casein dpns, which are pretty but they smell bad! LOL Yes, they do. I wouldn't buy them again.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've tried them all...but my favourites are plastic ones with the metal innards removed and knobs replaced (thanks to kind husband)- they are warm, lightweight and pliable, for comfy knitting. Sue.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.