brown paper packages tied up with string

26 Feb 2010

P1040690-1



A little while ago I was strolling around the web looking at some of my favourite UK blogs when I came across a link to a little shop called Milly and Dottie's Emporium full of all kinds of vintage goodies.

I popped over and had a poke around and found something special to buy.

It arrived last week or early this week, who can remember. 
A lovely package wrapped in brown paper and tied up with string.


A couple of years ago, may be more I found a charming picture in the back of an old book.
It had been torn out of a magazine, a picture of six children enjoying a birthday party. 
A very 1950s English kind of birthday party.

I framed the picture, it was only small. 
Then I needed the frame for something else and the picture was 'safely' tucked away again.
I have no idea where.


Milly and Dottie had my picture, only it is huge.
It is from and educational magazine from the 1950s and was painted by Herbert Williams.
So I bought it.



P1040695-1


It has some children's prayers and a colouring in picture with it as well which will be great to trace parts of and embroider.
If you want to see some close ups of all the wonderful detail in this picture you can go here.


Oh and Millie and Dottie each have a blog, 



8 Responses to “brown paper packages tied up with string”

  1. How lovely to find something you treasured and lost - especially arriving wrapped in such a beautiful package - I'm off to look at those links! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love it! I won a give away from Heart Felt (one of my favorite New Zealand friends) and when the sweet little pixie hat arrived, it was packaged in a page of an old children's book sewed up on three sides to make an envelope. So delightful. Your picture is so wonderfully cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always find the neatest things! So precious!

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow thank you for featuring the poster you bought from us! I had no idea that you had seen the image before, that makes me so happy to hear that you were able to find it again. I'm glad the poster arrived safely and survived its long journey.
    Have a lovely weekend
    Kimx (aka Milly)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous links. Stop it Rose, stop it. Go to work and look at the links tomorrow.

    Have a great weekend Jenny, I see on the nightly ABC weather report that it is getting cooler down your way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful poster!
    I am so pleased you found it, I bet you are so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful picture. So wholesome.

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful picture, I'm sure it will suit your home very well!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.