3 Jan 2010

Kate's new dress



I spent most of my time today cutting out and sewing a dress for Kate.

It's a Very Easy Vogue pattern , number 8469.


And it is easy and comes together well.
The bodice is lined which I like as it means I don't have to fiddle around with facings.

I had to shorten the corsetlet waistband though as I guess Kate must be a little short waisted.

I came to an abrupt halt when I realised that no matter how I looked at it I did not have a zipper the right length or colour.

I am also adding a very lightweight underskirt as the polka dot fabric, a handkerchief cotton, is a little see through.




Clothes, their choosing, making and care. 1958



I think this dress counts as an everyday frock.


According Margaret Butler's list in her 1958 book "Clothes, their choosing, making and care' the essential items of the wardrobe are:


A suit with blouses and jumpers ( sweaters)

A skirt,

And/or

One or two plain frocks for everyday wear.

A coat.

A best frock for special occasions.

Accessories, i.e. hat, scarf, gloves, handbag, shoes.

Mackintosh or raincoat.




Clothes, their choosing, making and care. 1958


Talk about a minimalist wardrobe.

How does yours compare?



Kate's new dress