Andy Pandy

13 Nov 2009

Andy Pandy from 'Watch with Mother' a book from the early 1960s filled with BBC children's programme characters.



If you are about my age and grew up in Australia, New Zealand or the UK chances are you recognise this little chap.

Yes it's Andy Pandy.

Welcome to the world of children's television circa 1963.

My family didn't get a television until 1963, TV only came to Australia in 1956.
I was 4 and it was the year before I started Kindergarten.


Programmes were not on all day and I can't really remember too much but I do remember watching Andy Pandy in the afternoon ( I think ) and I do remember thinking he was a bit stupid.
I preferred the Flowerpot Men but only because of the way they talked.

Perhaps I was a little old for it all.

My initial early childhood reaction to TV was one of boredom.



Mind you within a few of years I had overcome my cool reaction and was totally in love with Adventure Island and Kimba the White Lion.




Andy Pandy and Looby Lou from 'Watch with Mother' a book from the early 1960s filled with BBC children's programme characters.



I found this almost destroyed book in the op shop and bought it for 20c.




from 'Watch with Mother' a book from the early 1960s filled with BBC children's programme characters.



It is an early television marketing attempt by the BBC




from 'Watch with Mother' a book from the early 1960s filled with BBC children's programme characters.



Lots of stories about their Children's shows, fun activities and so on.




from 'Watch with Mother' a book from the early 1960s filled with BBC children's programme characters.



But the title of the book, Watch with Mother clearly infers that they want TV to be a shared experience rather than to be used as a babysitter.
Interesting isn't it when TV viewing is often a solitary experience now for children while Mum gets on with the things she needs to do.
I wonder how many Mums in the 1960s sat down with their children to watch Andy Pandy.
I know mine didn't, did yours.




Front cover end paper from 'Watch with Mother' a book from the early 1960s filled with BBC children's programme characters.



Actually the thing that most attracted me to the book was the beautiful end papers, torn but spectacular don't you think?