Slideshow Widget

1 Apr 2009




As resident Jill of All Trades I also am in charge of the barber shop.

I have always cut everyone's hair including my own.

The children are allowed to go to a professional hairdresser once they turn 16, and truly to be the person responsible for a teenagers hair is not a job I relish.



So last night I cut my hair.

It's just a short bob so I chop straight around, check for any stragglers and off I go.
I washed it this morning and did another little snip of bits I couldn't see so well last night.



What do you think?




P3310006



P3310010



Passable.


32 Responses to “ ”

  1. Wow, thats pretty good! I cut my children's hair too but my husband does mine and his own, I'm sure I'd make a mess of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, love it, love it! It's a great skill to have.
    Tan - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it looks really great-- my mother always cut my hair growing up-- I never went to a hairdresser until I was 20.

    Impressive-- how did you get the back straight? I would struggle with my hair

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're amazing, Jenny. I'd never dare cut my own hair, apart from fringe maintenance. I like the pampering I get at the hairdresser's to much to give them up entirely.

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys.
    Maryla, I'm actually not sure how straight the back is but it looks OK in the mirror.I close my eyes and chop when I do the back. If I try to do it using the mirror I get all confused, the mirror image business is too difficult for me.
    Kate , I love the pampering at the hairdressers too but I worked out that the part I like the most is the hairwashing and the scalp massage so I just do that myself. When you take a little extra time and massage with the tips of your fingers it almost as good. Plus Kate and I brush each others hair sometimes and that feels very relaxing too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I looks very cute! You did a great job! I trim my own hair too. I get a professional cut about once a year (if that) just to make sure it's all straightened out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jenny, I have been reading your blog for a year or so. A lovely Jewel of a gal sent me over to your house. I have never seen your picture before and you are every bit as lovely as your daughter and not to forget your dollies. I like that bob, it suits you and it is amazing to me you can cut your own hair so evenly. You are a woman of many talents.
    God Bless you. Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very clever Jenny. I cut my hair but it's long and curly so really hides many misplace snips.

    cheers Kate

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is adorable. Would you fly to Atlanta and do mine?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job! I love the colour. We so seldom see a pic of you.

    I'm the hairdresser in our house too, but I still go to a professional for mine (I've grown it long since last year so only been once), although now that my sister is back in Perth we do each other's.

    I get the best end of that deal though because she trained as a hairdresser originally. Tomorrow she is coming for a cut and colour! I cut hers very like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You do a great job with your hair. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks very nice! I've tried it twice...once I kept getting shorter and shorter and shorter just trying to get it even! I think that was the last time I ever tried it....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done! I don't think I'd be able to do the back. My 2 1/2 year old hasn't been to the hairdresser yet, I cut her hair :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dearest Jenny,
    As a professional hairdresser I think you did very well. The bob is one of the hardest haircuts to do!! I only cut my fringe and maybe texture it a bit, thats all. It's one of those professions that when there's a hairdresser or a mechanic in the family you can never get your haircut or car fixed or so thats what my husband says!
    Take care & God bless
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your hair looks great Jenny. I think your very clever. I will cut my childrens hair and sometimes my husband but never my own.My 13 year is starting to get a little fussy, so we will see how we go.
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jolly good job there Jenny! I am impressed you are brave enough to tackle the back by yourself. Hubby cuts my hair, but sometimes I have a treat at the hairdresser. I find, however, that hubby tends to cut it the way I ask! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jenny, I get my haircut twice a year. It's an enormous cloud of slightly frizzy curly waves and as I wear it in a pony tail almost all of the time, I hardly even bother about it at all. I have no fringe, so don't have to worry about that either.

    Mum always cut out hair. I had my first salon visit aged 12, and like every other girl at the time, wanted to look like Princess Diana. Oh..if it only took a haircut!!!

    I've never cut our eldest's hair as it is straight and very blond (you'd see all the hack marks). #2 son's hair was very curly - so I used to take to it in the bath with the scissors. It was fine. He didn't actually get a barbershop visit until he was nearly 5. #3 boy also has curly locks, but he has had a snip at the barbers, because they threw it in for free with the other two.

    I think your cut looks fabulous. It must take some practice to see the back of your head via a mirror with a pair of scissors.

    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Jenny
    How brave of you, I would never dare cut my own hair! My dear MIL cuts her own hair as she is never happy with how the hairdressers style hers.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I, too, am the barber/beautician here... though I cannot cut my own. Usually it is 11:30 at night when my husband gets his haircut. The good(?) thing is that there isn't much to cut, so it doesn't take long.
    It is so nice to put a face to someone I consider "a faraway friend I've not yet met". By the by... thank you for helping me appreciate the beauty in the ordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! You did a great job! I too cut my families hair. I even cut them as teenagers. But my own, I have never tried it. You did an excellent job!
    Gail in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your bob it is very flattering. I like the hmmm look on your face in the second photo:) But you look adorable so stop wondering it's a go. Adn the color is beautiful.
    My sister cuts all her childrens hair but not her own. My other sister has cut her own hair for years. Me I've had three people in 30 years cut my hair. It's long and curley and I don't mess with it to much. But am soooooo chicken to do any thing with it my self.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your hair looks amazing wow! I cut everyones hair in my family, I have cut my own before, but not for a while, maby it's time I cut mine again. Thanks for the inspiration!

    Linda in South Africa

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, little jenny wren, how very beautiful you are! And, amazing. I can't believe you achieved this degree of cutification--all on your own. How adorable. Are you ready for this, dear kindred soul?? I recently *had* my hair bobbed, too. How's that for sisterhood that crosses borders and time?? I put a *blurry* "Julia photo" up on Flickr. ;o) Love you. Miss you. Jewels
    With a P.S. of one little request, could we *please* have just one photo of you with your *new do* with your *smiling eyes*?? Pretty please, with sugar on top?? And, *please* let us not hear anymore of this *nonsense* about *passable*. Not another word of it. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love it! My husband and I cut each others hair. I do the front of my hair and he does the back since I am not flexible at all! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Jenny, I am our barber/ hairdresser too. I think you did a lovely job on your style and the result is not just passable but first class.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I let the students at the local hair and beauty collage loose on my hair. They tend to do a pretty good job, bless 'em. I once cut the DH's hair when we were first married...have you ever seen a grown man cry? It was that bad, he couldn't go out without a hat on. You seem to be far more steady handed and have a nice chic bob.

    ReplyDelete
  27. More than passable - seriously cute! It suits you well.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi jenny,

    Great job and you pocket the $45 - your first 2 are boys right, and that's how you get them to 16 .. lol. Good luck with Kate!

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sorry Jenny, in my earlier comment I didn't leave my name...I don't want to be 'anonymous' my comment was made on Wed @ 11.02pm
    I agree with all Jewels has said...and she has asked so nicely for another 'photo session'
    from Jenny McH

    ReplyDelete
  30. Brilliant Jenny, I'm so pleased to hear of another resident barber. I accidently squirted glue into my hair when I was 13 and had to cut it before my mum noticed and I've been cutting my hair ever since. Hubby hasn't been to to a professional since we met in the 70s and my kids come home for a cut when needs must. You seem to have done an excellent job styling your own maybe I should come over for a trim sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your hair looks wonderful. How do you do the back?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.