Slideshow Widget

2 Mar 2009

P2270001


Summer is over but the fruits of summer are still ripening and delighting.


It felt like a busy weekend although most of it was spent at home.
Kate was away , at music camp, Andy had cricket and more homework than is decent and, unexpectedly, Louis arrived home on Friday night to stay for the weekend.


It was so good to see him and he looks great.
He and Stephen played lots of tennis, he slowly told us about his adventures, and he seems to be doing just fine.

Kate arrived home around afternoon tea time on Sunday, saw Louis and just burst into tears.


Stephen is almost finished the bedroom, cracks repaired, walls painted, woodwork cleaned and oiled, floor sanded and oiled.
One more dose of oil and it will be finished I think.
Then it is over to me, there are new curtains to be made and a rationalisation of our hotch potch of bedroom cupboards.
We have spent the last six weeks in a bedroom with only a bed and the sparseness of it is wonderful.
We have plans for Stephen to build a built in cupboard and then we will only need a chest of drawers or two.
I would also like a bookcase and my chair ( which needs to be recovered) and then all the other bits and pieces that made our bedroom their hide-out can be used somewhere else.



I baked and cooked all Saurday afternoon, using a lovely book I found at the op shop. It's called Cake Making in Pictures by Muriel Downes.
It is an English book and was written in 1957, perfect for a vintage baking afternoon.




I spent some time over the weekend, re-reading Journeyings ( read the synopsis) by Janet McCalman , a wonderful social historian.
It is a social history of the people of middle class Melbourne from 1920 to 1990.
More specifically it's about the people of the number 69 tram route from their school days to their old age.
Very interesting.

I own a copy of one of her other books
Struggletown: portrait of a working class community.
It is a social and personal history of Richmond, Melbourne from 1900 to 1965.
My Dad was born in tough old Richmond in 1927 and lived there until the early 1950s and I bought the book to find out more about the time and place that shaped him.
I really enjoyed it.
I love the look inside the lives of ordinary people that this kind of oral history work can give.
If you are a Melbourne person you might like to read them, I'm sure you would find them at the library.






P2270004


I can't say I'm sad to see summer finishing.
For the most part it was a lovely summer as summer always is but the days of punishing hot weather were awful and unpredictable, the lack of rain following on from past summers with little rain make the garden so very dry, only the toughest plants survive.
We have only regularly watered the vegetable garden , the fruit trees and any new comers to the garden such as Kate's roses.



Autumn is my favourite season .
It is a purposeful season after the somewhat expansive sanguine days of summer.
There is wood to be ordered, gathered and stacked.
The vegie garden cleared, fed and replanted.
Apples to be picked and enjoyed.
Blackberries to be hunted , maybe mushrooms as well.


Easter, with its simple pleasures and simple message is so much easier than Christmas with all its hoopla.
Even when your own version of Christmas is low key and simple the surrounding commercial noise and fuss from the shops, the advertising and half the population who feel stressed and put upon by real and imagined expectations is hard to escape.



So this week brings the chance to think about seasonal jobs that will need to be done in the coming weeks while my hands are busy with dolly knitting .
A brand new week, month and season.
Stephen has a work trip , Kate is being inducted as a school SRC leader, Andy is trying not to drown under the waterfall of work that his teachers are unloading on him.
Louis is back at Uni living the life.




Time to get the morning jobs done, make sure I know what we are having for dinner ( I do because we should have had it last night, roast Chicken, we had a last minute change of plans as Louis wanted his favourite lasagne and who am I to say no) , make some phone calls and then get some doll work done.


Have a lovely day.



P2270005

6 Responses to “ ”

  1. Your photos are beautiful and you definitely have a way with words that I envy. I agree with everything you said about Easter and Christmas and summer. I love autumn and spring.
    And the sparseness of the house after the Christmas decorations are put away is nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jenny, Yes, Autumn is wonderful and always my favorite time of year in Tas. I had a week in Launceston a couple of weeks ago and it was quite hot and sad to see it soooo dry.
    Thanks for the book recommendations. The topics are of great interest to me.
    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to hear that you're looking forward to autumn, when I've been clenaing my windows all morning, looking at my daffs growing in the sunshine, and thinking "it's so nice that spring is around the corner."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Autumn is also my favourite season. I am amazed that you still have strawberries. How lovely for your children to be so close.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Jenny, I've just spent a lovely 10 minutes catching up on your last few posts and getting a tremendous dose of pleasure looking through your photos.

    The little blonde dolly with the red cardigan and fairy floss hair looks just like my niece Audrey. I think she looks like she just got out of bed from having a nap. Very sweet.

    I understand what you're talking about in relation to the busyness and scattiness of the start of the school year and how it affects those other areas of life. I'm just starting to feel settled again myself. I'll know I'm truly snuggled into life and the wonderfulness of Autumn when I get that knitting project out of it's bag. It's been sitting next to my bed untouched for about 3 weeks.

    Happy days.

    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  6. p.s. I see your second round of strawberries coming on. Mine won't be giving another crop this year as they all had a rather severe haircut a few weeks ago. The raspberries though are coming on again! Yum. Lisa x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.