Slideshow Widget

4 Mar 2009




I have been dipping into this book for my lunchtime reading this week.
I have borrowed it from the library a couple of times before and it is an interesting read about how big food industry manufacturers tried to and in many ways succeeded in hijacking American mealtimes.



You can read a good review here and excerpts from the book here.


What caught my eye today was the history of the Pillsbury Bake-off and it sent me off to search for the original winning recipe from 1949: the No Knead Water Rising Nut Twists and it earned the winner, Theodora Smafield the huge sum of $50,000 plus a new stove and the prize was presented by Eleanor Roosevelt.
Apparently Theodora used an old way of proving the dough; wrapping it in a tea towel and submerging it in warm water and as the dough rises it also rises to the top of the water.



The recipe as written at the Pillsbury website has been modified to dispense with the water rising step so I looked further and found this, No Knead Cinnamon Twists which includes the underwater step.


Sounds yummy


3 Responses to “ ”

  1. Sounds like an interesting book. I'll have to look for it in my library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does sound yummy Jenny, I would love to try the recipe.Thanks for sharing it.
    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw a movie, can't remember the title, but it was based on a true story of how one American housewife, with a ner do well husband, kept the family afloat by writing jingles for all sorts of household products. One time even winning a car. Must try and find the title.

    Water rising dough sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.