Slideshow Widget

My Dolly and Me

2 Feb 2009

My Dolly and Me, illustrated by Eloise Wilkin,1961


I am in a total state of bliss.



This little book has been tapping on my shoulder for the past few weeks.
I saw some illustrations from it on Flickr in the Eloise Wilkin group and something about it seemed so familiar.


I knew I didn't have it, I thought I had never owned it.

I looked for it in the op shops.

I looked for it on line.



My Dolly and Me, illustrated by Eloise Wilkin,1961


I found it on ebay but the prices, for a simple Little Golden Book were unbelievable.







I found a copy for less than $10 and bid on it but I was out bid at the very last moment.



Total disappointment



My Dolly and Me, illustrated by Eloise Wilkin,1961


The book dates from 1961 so I thought maybe, just maybe my Aunt might have a copy that belonged to her daughter who is 5 years older than me.





She told me that my cousin had taken almost all her Golden books to donate to a school where she was working.
Disaster.
But my auntie said she would check and see what she could find.





My Dolly and Me, illustrated by Eloise Wilkin,1961


Ten minutes later she rang back to say she had found THE BOOK!!!!!!

and what was even better the book was mine.

I had written across the cover, 45 years ago, in felt pen, in my best " learning to write" handwriting and so my cousin had left it there for me.



My Dolly and Me, illustrated by Eloise Wilkin,1961


Total bliss.




We Help Mommy, illustrated by Eloise Wilkin, 1959


I already have a copy of my other favorite book from the time.
The original seems to be lost.
I bought this one about thirty years ago.




We Help Mommy, illustrated by Eloise Wilkin, 1959


I always wanted a clothesline like this one
.



We Help Mommy, illustrated by Eloise Wilkin, 1959


And a ride in a supermarket trolley like this.




Baby Looks, Esther and Eloise Wilkin 1961


Mum brought the book round this morning along with a few others she had found.






Baby Looks, Esther and Eloise Wilkin 1961


I had seen this picture on Flickr too but the owner of the picture couldn't recall which book it came from.
Now I know.





Baby Looks, Esther and Eloise Wilkin 1961


And haven't you seen that little face many times
when a little one is waking or going to sleep




Baby Looks, Esther and Eloise Wilkin 1961


And this, perfect little sleeping babe.



Enjoy.

We should start an Eloise Wilkin fan club.


37 Responses to “My Dolly and Me”

  1. I love the Little Golden books. We had tons of them when I was growing up. My mother remarked last time she visited me how expensive they now are. I loved spending hours looking at them. I have a mini version of "We Help Mommy" which I found on a trip home years ago. I use it as an open book on the lap of a doll my sister hand made. I think it was one of both her and my favorites. It was fun seeing yours.

    Hugs ~
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had we help mummy. I had so many golden books but gave them all to my brother when he had his daughter, along with many other of my early childhood books. I expected to get them back when they had finished with them but alas they all seem to have been lost or something. I was really sad because books were and still are so precious to me. I would have loved to be able to share them with my children. Oh well such is life. Hopefully many other children have enjoyed them.

    cheers Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Golden books - how gorgeous some of those classic ones were. When my son was born, my dad went out and bought a stack of his favourite childhood golden books - Scuffy the Tugboat, The little Taxi that Hurried, The Little Red Caboose. Those books are still so loved in our family, but I never found the 'girlie' ones. I'll be on the lookout at op shops and school fairs now. These are all the dolly games that my two wee girls play every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness - I had those books too! I loved "We help Mommy" and yes, I wanted a clothesline like that too! I wonder where my copy went??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boy did that bring back memories. I think I had We Help Mommy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's beautiful! And what luck for you that the book was still at your aunt's place. Yes, really adorable illustrations.

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those old Golden Books, too.

    Both my children have asked me if life was really so very much different in the past.

    All one has to do is look at the old books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for posting about Baby Looks, I couldn't remember the title- that one and We Help Mommy were my favorite books when I was little!! The pictures...so so adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am STILL kicking myself for giving away all my son's Little Golden Books 30+ years ago. I bought them for such a pittance. :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE Eloise Wilkin. I bought (on Ebay, yes) My Goodnight Book. I read that book over and over to my children when they were little and it's their favorite. Our copy was beyond repair so now I'm slowly getting one for each of my girls.

    ReplyDelete
  11. She is one of my favorite illustrators too. I have two old board books I kept from when my children were little that are so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those were some of my favorites. I used to read them over and over when I was a child too, and the illustrations are just beautiful.

    Fan club? I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are so sweet!

    How wonderful for you that you are in possession of the book you have longed for and it was your very own since childhood!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are so sweet! I adore the older Golden books. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The pictures are SO sweet. I had a book similar to those-with the same little girl, but don't remember which book it was. Holly

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh how lovely for you Jenny! I felt the same way when I found a particular story book from my childhood in a junk shop. I held it aloft and shouted to my husband across the shop with utter glee! Everyone must have thought I was slightly batty, but I didn't care...I had found the book with the story of the Cloppy Horse's Holiday in it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. My favourite Golden book was Scuffy the tugboat I have managed to buy acopy for each of our children to keep.

    daisymum

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely blog you have! I'll visit again. :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. The expressions on the little ones faces look cute, a lovely find. best wishes julie.C

    ReplyDelete
  20. We have "My Dolly and Me" and my youngest daughter took it everywhere she went for about a year. It looks quite tatty now as the cover has come off and the pages are bent over. But they both still love it and I am sure it will be a favourite again as my daughters are only 4 and 6.

    Warmly, Mrs M

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oooohhh...my heart did a little pitter-patter when I saw these books. We had all these sweet little books growing up...unfortunately they burned in a house fire my mom had...sigh..

    ReplyDelete
  22. How wonderful is that? Bliss is the perfect word.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I owned the first two books, and had forgotten all about them, but just seeing those pictures brought it all right back to me. I too loved the clothesline and espcially the grocery cart, I've always remembered it.
    I am going to keep my eyes open for them
    Blessings,
    Niki

    ReplyDelete
  24. Perfectly sweet! I'm so glad you shared them ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love Eloise! I have "Little Mommy" and some others. My children do not understand why I will not part with them.

    ReplyDelete
  26. WE have these books too, my girls love them!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I just adore her illustrations, so beautiful and yes, blissful! Thanks for sharing....join the Flickr group!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I had the I Help Mommy and every year I used to ask for that clothesline for my birthday. I can hope for it for my own little girl. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Jen,I love Eloise Wilkin. Thanks for sharing these books with us. I am so glad you found your book...very exciting,I'm sure.

    Blessings,Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love these little golden books too. That is just so exciting that after all these years your Auntie found your book for you. What a treasure for you to share with your children.
    The pictures are so adorable.
    Thanks for sharing such a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi! First time visitor to you blog and I came at the right time as I adore Eloise Wilkin from my childhood and my children's childhood. My daughter's favorite book was "Baby Dear," which I believe preceded the one you show today. It would be wonderful to have a whole collection of all Wilkin's books. Last year I bought a brand new compilation of some of her Golden Book illustrated stories in one volume for my now 7 year old daughter as a gift.

    Love your blog, and will visiit again!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I had these books too!!! What neat memories...I LOVED my babies (dolls) and played with them until I was twelve...my friends thought I was too old to play with dolls anymore but I was having too much fun to care what they thought = )

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh I love the old Little Golden Books! The illustrations of the children are so precious. I have a prayer book and a through-the-year-type book. Thank you for the memories of reading these delightful books to my sons many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  34. What an incredible story!

    I love Eloise Wilkins and hope I am equally lucky in finding a few copies for my own children.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I absolutely adore her work! And I love the Little Golden Books too. I have one from 1974 called Where Did the Baby Go? It was one of my favorite books as a little girl.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.