12 Jan 2009

making chocolate ripple cake



I'll share the simplest cake recipe you will ever find.
I'm pretty sure all Australians already know this one but I don't know about other countries.



We have a biscuit here in Australia called a Chocolate Ripple.

A fairly plain chocolate flavoured biscuit made by Arnotts since the late 1940s.

For a bought biscuit they seem to be fairly innocuous : flour, sugar, vegetable oil, cocoa, golden syrup,raising agent, colour, salt, egg, milk solids and flavouring.
There are generic forms available but I haven't ever bought them.
Every now and then the supermarkets have a good special on their plain biscuits and I buy a couple of packets of Chocolate Ripples or
Ginger Nuts.



Anyway the recipe is very simple.


CHOCOLATE RIPPLE CAKE


You will need 1 packet of biscuits, 250g or 8oz.

300ml or 1/2 pint cream whipped to be quite stiff and flavoured with a teaspoon of vanilla and a teaspoon of icing sugar.

The theory is that you spread biscuit with the whipped cream and sandwich it with another biscuit which you then spread with cream and gradually make a log but make it slightly sloping so that when it is cut you will get a striped slice of cake.
You need to cut it on a slight angle too , on the opposite angle to the slope of the cake.
You spread the remaining cream over the outside of the log and sprinkle it with chocolate powder or some grated chocolate.




Now this is then supposed to be refrigerated for about six hours and then served.



If you don't have six hours before you need the cake you can dip each bisuit very briefly in some milk to help the softening of the biscuits.
You don't want them to go soft in the milk though.



Some people also add a little sherry or brandy to the cream or brush a little on the biscuits before layering with cream.


You can also use Gingernut biscuits instead of Chocolate biscuits.

Of course it's perfect for summer because you don't have to use the oven and the kitchen stays cool.





chocolate ripple cake

7 Responses to “ ”

  1. I know this recipe! So simple and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No this one I haven't heard of so I think I will have ago thank you, cakes biscuits and puddings I love making. Don't enjoy making meals as much. best wishes Julie.C

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! My kids LOVE Choc ripple cake. I like to make the gingernut version too. Sometimes, we alternate the choc and gingernut biscuits for that something extra special. Thanks for the milk tip!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. In North America, we make this at Christmas for a simple Yule Log! It's all in the decorating;) The biscuits we use appear thinner so they soften in the whipped cream.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my favourite cake! It has become a tradition that my auntie makes this cake for every family gathering. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummo - try it with Butternut snap bikkies too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Made it a couple of weeks ago..except I call it a Continental Cake when people ask because it sounds European and they think it tastes so good!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.