1950s and all that.

19 Jan 2009

Flowers in Tender Bloom by Norman Rockwell




On Saturday Mum and Dad celebrated their 56th wedding anniversary.

They were married on January 17th 1953 at St John's Church in Launceston.




Gran and Dessie



This picture was taken at Christmas time and they didn't know I was snapping them.

We had an afternoon tea for them here on Saturday, just our little family because my brother and sister were in other places.


They spent most of their wedding anniversary pruning a crazed rose that was threatening to bring down their garden arch.



When they first married they rented a house until they could buy a block of land and then they built their house.
It took three years to build, working on it as they got the money to pay for it.

They moved in in 1958 and in 1959 I was born little sister to my brother Greg.
Three years later my sister was born.
My parents still live in the same house they built 50 years ago.


I think they have done a brilliant job of building a life together.



On Saturday I discovered a wonderful blog 50s Times written by a woman who has decided to live 2009 as if she is living in 1955.
I know this has been attempted before but this lady is not just pretending to be a housewife by playing dress
ups she is investigating and discussing the current events of the time and looking at women's lives in the context of having lived through World War 2.

She has done lots of research and so far it's fascinating.


There is also a similar blog called Destination 1940 which I haven't read fully but also seems well researched and really interesting.






Something 1950s - ish that I am doing this week is trying out the 1950s budget menu
with some variations because it's an American menu plan.
As my Mum was the quintessential
50s housewife long into the 70s I have based some our recipes on what I remember from my childhood taking care to follow 1950s serving sizes by using my vintage plates and only using the serving area of the plate which is significantly smaller than the plates of today.


I'll publish my menu plan tomorrow and you can tell me what you think.


12 Responses to “1950s and all that.”

  1. Congratulations to your parents...in this time of instant everything 56 years is some achievement. Not to mention still living in the same house.

    Last year on a trip to Launceston I was lucky enough to find a couple of piles of vintage plates in an op shop, I'd been looking for some for ages as ours were too large. I found that I was wasting too much food because I would over fill our large plates, the children didn't eat all theirs as it was too much and G and I were eating more than we needed because of the "clean up your plate' thing from our childhood. Now we have just right plates, I just need to learn to reduce the amount that I actually cook now.

    Off to check out the blog now, thanks Jenny

    cheers Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations o your parents and thank you very much for the links.

    Alfazema

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am looking forward to reading the websites you mention, Jenny.

    Thanks for the tips.

    Haven't our portin sizes grown over the years. In one of my 40s cookbooks it says to budget for 3-4 oz of protein (meat) per meal. That sounds much healthier than the mega steaks and so forth you can buy now, especially in restaurants.

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best wishes to your mum and dad, how lovely. I will have a look at the menu when you post it. best wishes Julie.C

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your parents look sweet! Congrats to them for being together so long.

    I have an unrelated question --- I've tried posting comments on many of your ADIML participants' blogs and they do not go thru. There is no 'this comment is saved' announcement and I'm afraid I'm doing something wrong. Yours is one of the only blogs I can comment to!

    If any readers have suggestions please do let me know. I am new to the blog community :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations to your parents! What a wonderful thing to have parents who have been together through thick and thin....

    My parents celebrate 50 years this July! I am very thankful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this post. Congratulations to your parents! and I am sure they are proud of you and your family as a continuation of their success. Also thanks for noting these fascinating blogs. I note with some sadness though that it is all too rare to find the kind of couple you picture at the top--where a man is devoted to his family and where a woman makes a home. I have heard that many young men and women in college today do not contemplate marriage although they may have longstanding love partners, because they do not intend to have children. This seems a risky business for individuals, for without the family as an institution, individuals are also without its protection.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations to your parents Jenny. What a wonderful accomplishment to celebrate.

    Between pictures of your dish rack and my local quilt shop I have been inspired to search out vintage dinner plates ~ I've managed to find a number of them in the last month so my collection is well on its way.

    I also came across a copy of 'The Hostess Cook Book', published in 1952. It is not only a treasure trove of recipes, but fascinating reading and advice sprinkled throughout. The book was mine for about 50c!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations to your parents :)

    I'll have a look at the links you posted, I'm very interested in the 1950's budget menu.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fantastic achievement. Fifty five years, CONGRATULIONS to Jenny's parents.

    My parents have been happily married for 52years and for that I am truly thankful especially just to have two parents around and still together is such a blessing.

    Love the 50's era and thanks for the blog references, I will take a look shortly.

    If only we could wind back the clock. Though my mum says there are just some things that she doesn't want back. Life is much easier now with electricity etc.

    Hope you are keeping cool in beautiful Tasmania.

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  11. wonderful, wonderful...thank you so much for the links :o)

    ~simply~

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the picture of your parents. It is so nice and encouraging to see happiness in a marriage and stick to it ism!! Thank you and much blessings to your parents,

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.