Slideshow Widget

A Child's Christmas in Wales

19 Dec 2008

A Child's Christmas in Wales



"One Christmas was so much like another, in those years around the sea-town corner now and out of all sound except the distant speaking of the voices I sometimes hear a moment before sleep, that I can never remember whether it snowed for six days and six nights when I was twelve or whether it snowed for twelve days and twelve nights when I was six.






All the Christmases roll down tow
ard the two-tongued sea, like a cold and headlong moon bundling down the sky that was our street; and they stop at the rim of the ice-edged fish-freezing waves, and I plunge my hands in the snow and bring out whatever I can find. In goes my hand into that wool-white bell-tongued ball of holidays resting at the rim of the carol-singing sea, and out come Mrs. Prothero and the firemen."





You can read the whole story here but you must read it out loud because it is the most delicious language that needs to be heard to hear how it sings.


You can read all about it here and,

if you get the chance to see the film featuring Denholm Elliott you will love it.




5 Responses to “A Child's Christmas in Wales”

  1. How I adore vintage greeting cards. They always have such sweet pictures. Thanks for the links.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'The way it sings' is a very apt phrase. Laugharne in Wales was his 'beloved place' and he did much of his writing there and describes it so well. It's a small place, and the Boathouse which he used as his writing studio has been restored to it's former glory.
    Janet (UK)

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Forgot to say - there was a film out this year about Dylan Thomas, The Edge of Love, with Keira Knightley and Mathew Rhys which was really good.
    Janet (UK)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We watch the movie every year after we decorate our Christmas tree, drinking hot chocolate.
    It is wonderful. I've never met anyone who had seen it before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you posted this. I have it in book form and need to pull it out and read it to my children before Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.