18 Nov 2008

gifts to be wrapped


In an attempt to help me organise myself for Christmas I'm tracking down the new recipes and patterns that I tried out last year and were a success.


The gifts I won't necessarily make again although sometimes I like to make them again and keep them for myself, a little pre Christmas indulgence.


I thought I could post the recipes here and any other bits and pieces.
That way I'll know where they are no matter how much chaos is happening in the kitchen.



the punch
(yes that is a small bug swimming in the punch, just one of the hazards of lunch in the garden)

Last year we hosted the big family Christmas.
We had lunch in the garden, it was a beautiful day.



One of the big successes was the punch.
Such a pretty colour and delicious as well.
We won't be hosting Christmas again this year, it's my brother's turn but my sister-in-law was quite interested in the recipe.
I found the Merry Berry Christmas Punch in a free magazine of Christmas cooking at the local Woolies supermarket last year.
It is super simple and destined to be a family favourite.





Any Christmas recipes that are real winners make their way into my hand written recipe book so that hopefully they are never lost. I keep the original too if it is in a magazine or cookbook but the handwritten book means I don't have to panic or go searching for a hundred different things.




Now I know many of you live in the Northern Hemisphere and Christmas for you is a cold affair. You can keep this recipe and have a special midsummer celebration and imagine what a summery southern Christmas.



So,in true Marshall fashion I will start with the Christmas recipe that you won't actually need until just before Christmas lunch, here it is:




MERRY BERRY CHRISTMAS PUNCH


1 CUP OF BOILING WATER


2 STRAWBERRY AND MANGO FLAVOURED TEA BAGS


1/3 CUP MINT LEAVES


250G FRESH STRAWBERRIES OR CHERRIES OR BOTH, HALVED OR QUARTERED


200G FROZEN MIXED BERRIES


750ML APPLE CIDER CHILLED (sparkling apple juice)


750ML SPARKLING WINE OR LEMONADE, CHILLED



Pour boiling water into jug , add teabags and let stand for 5 minutes.


Remove teabags and leave tea to cool.


Place cooled tea, mint leaves, strawberries and mixed berries in large punch bowl or two large jugs.


Add apple cider


Slowly add sparkling wine or lemonade.


Serve, or should I say let everyone serve themselves.




A sparkling punch, as you know, should be put together just before it is needed.
It is a job for the 9 to 14 year olds and much tasting , though only small sips, is needed to make sure it is a tasty drop.
Of course if you are using a sparkling wine the punch becomes someone else's responsibility.



If you can find a vintage punch bowl grab it.
I used a vintage green mixing bowl instead because my mum has the punch bowl and I forgot to organise it in time.




My sister and I always used to mix the punch in our house.
A completely random mixture of cold tea or dry ginger ale plus Golden Circle tropical mix juice and what ever other soft drink we could find plus a can of pineapple pieces and some chopped fruit or maybe even a can of fruit salad in a pinch.


I'm sure some of our concoctions were pretty dodgy but no one seemed to mind.
Who made the punch in your house?

7 Responses to “ ”

  1. I might try that punch recipe- it looks lovely. I am partial to mint leaves and berries. We also got a beautiful punch bowl with cups for our wedding that have never been used- what a great excuse to use it.
    Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks scrummy!

    Just checking: is the apple cider of the alcoholic variety or do you mean sparkling apple juice?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your punch looks really good and not so hard to make either. I always begin the punch -- a frozen concoction -- and the kids finish it by adding the fizzy pop or whatever it needs when it's in the punch bowl.

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading about Christmas in warm climates. Although I have a sister in Florida (where it is warm in December).

    Of course, it seems quite strange to me to even think of Christmas when it is not freezing cold and one has to drink HOT chocolate and HOT coffee just to stay warm.

    Having said that, I'm copying the recipe for July picnics. I DO have a vintage punch bowl, found while thrifting last year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea of posting some favorite Christmas recipes. We have never had punch in our family. I don't know anyone who even has a punch bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great recipe Jenny, I'm glad you revived this post.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.