16 Oct 2008

PA160002



Today I made my favourite - treacle bread.
The recipe calls it Rye and Caraway but I call it treacle bread.
Don't you just love
caraway seeds. My mum used to read me a story when I was litle about a mother squirrel who lived in a little house in a tree. One day, I think, there was an earthquake or a least a big shudder and all sorts of things went wrong. The squirrel had the prettiest little house and she made caraway seed cake. A piece of that cake and a cup of tea, or was it acorn coffee, seemed to cure all ills and settle the nerves.
My mother has read that same story to all her 8 grandchildren whenever they have stayed at her house although I think Kate likes it the best.




I make a lovely caraway seed cake too but today it was the bread.
I make the dough in the bread maker and then shape it , rest it and cook it in the oven. You could do the whole thing in the breadmaker if you wanted too, especially if you aren't doing any other baking.


The smell of this bread baking is to die for and I like the bread best toasted and spread with lashings of butter and a scrape of Promite or strawberry jam. I know, one spread is salty and the other is sweet but for me they both work though not together - gak!



Now the ingredients list goes like this:

415 mls water

2 tablespoons of olive oil

90g/1/4 cup treacle

2 teaspoons

1 1/2 cups ( 170g) rye flour

2 1/2 cups ( 375g) bread flour

2 1/2 tablespoons milk powder

3 teaspoons caraway seeds

2 teaspoons yeast.



Pop them in the bread machine in the order that your machine likes best. I like to have the water a little warm, tepid I guess and I warm the baking pan a little too.

An Australian teaspoon equals 4 teaspoons, I think in other places it equals 3 teaspoons.



I let the machine go through its dough cycle then knock the bread down, knead it briefly , shape a place in a lightly oiled bread tin to rise for half an hour covered lightly with an oiled piece of plstic ( an old bread bag). While its rising I heat the oven to 200Celsius and then I bake the loaf for about 30 minutes. Then I turn it upside down in the bread tin and bake for a further 5 minutes.



I don't usually eat this bread while its hot, I just enjoy its aroma. As I said I prefer it toasted. you , of course should experiment to find what suits you best.




I also made the most delicious French cream cheese tart for dessert tonight.
I have made this wonderful tart so many times and it never fails to satisfy.
I don't have a picture, it came out of the oven as I was cooking tea and the moment was lost.
It does look like a custard tart but for me it is so much nicer and super easy but that could be because I use my trusty Oskar ( read down to the last comment if you follow the link).
My little friend makes quick work of both the pastry and the filling.
Now this recipe is from a book called Sweet Things by Suzanne Gibbs who is Margaret Fulton's daughter.
Lovely book but this is the main recipe I use from it.





First you need to make the pastry. You will need 1 cup of plain flour ( all purpose), a pinch of salt and 60g of unsalted butter. I whizz them together until they look like fine bread crumbs then I add 4 tablespoons of caster (superfine) sugar, 2 egg yolks ( duck eggs of course) and 2 drops of vanilla. I whizz them until it starts to come together and ressemble pastry. A light hand is needed, you don't want to overwork the pastry.



Once it's done I quickly press it evenly into a pie dish to line the base and sides, prick the base with a fork and pop the pastry into the freezer while I make the filling. I also turn the oven on to heat to 190C (375F).



I don't usually wash the Oskar bowl I just put the filling ingredients in with the last few pastry crumbs. I whizz the125g ( 4oz) butter until its creamy then add the1/2 cup (4oz) sugar and whizz till combined. Next in goes the 250g(80z) of cream cheese ( Philly cheese or neufchatel) and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla. Again whizz well until the mixture is smooth then whizz in 2 eggs ( duck again but you can use hen's eggs of course).



Now a little aside here. Today I actually used only 125g of cream cheese and although the final result was a little more tremulous than usual it was still declared delicious by eveyone.



Once you have made the filling use you trusty spatula to make sure you scrape every last teaspoon of it into the pie shell.



Sprinkle with a little freshly grated nutmeg and pop into the oven for about 30 minutes or until it's puffed and golden. After it's out of the oven let it cool a little and dust with a little sifted icing sugar.



Take it to the table with a tah dah and sit down and enjoy it with your family.
You can have a little splodge of whipped cream if you like and a cup of good coffee goes down well too.

7 Responses to “ ”

  1. Hi Jen,the bread looks so yummy...Think I will have a big hunk of it with butter!(Smile)

    Blessings,Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just reminded me I have to look on ebay for a new oskar aren't they fantastic. Mine was 18y.o & has sadly just passed away.It did everthing from babyfood over the years to chopping Sunlight Soap for my Homemade detergent.Have a great day Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made an almost identical loaf today! The only difference is that I use less sweetener (one tablespoon honey) and I use more caraway seeds as I have both whole and ground seeds.
    Margaretha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love hearing that gorgeous Josh Groban song whenever I visit your site!
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your bread looks so good! I love caraway seeds too. I'm planning on making raised doughnuts today. It's about to get cold, windy and rainy...perfect day for doughnuts.

    jody

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness...it's 10pm in Oregon USA and I've just had a look at that scrumptious looking bread...much too late to eat right before bed, so guess I'll be dreaming about having it for breakfast! You're welcome to check my blog if you'd like a great Hawaiian Banana Bread recipe! Thanks for the recipe! Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Jenny,

    Indeed, I sympathise with what you are saying re 'McMansions'...My hubby and I live in SouthWestern Sydney, first developed post WWII. Wel, those beautiful little post war cottages are being knocked down for huge, suspiciously 'non sustainable' and cold monstrocities when the owners could have done up their little cottage beautifully for half the price and truly made a home; as you said, sadly, many are at the mercy of the home builders with naught means to design their own or renno an older place. I would be interested if home builders still offered the smaller, cosier options. There is an older estate in ACT/NSW (it straddles the border) called Jerrabombrah. Developed in the mid-late '80's and early 90's, not a few of the homes are almost straight off the 1920's-1930's drawingboard. Same goes for townhouses here. a few builders are putting up late Victorian/Federation replicas.

    Oh, how I would love to move to Tasmania!! god willing, when my hubby retires.......let us see...

    Blessings,

    Mrs. E.,
    Australia.
    PS? Your Treacle bread recipe sounds delightful! I make a 'ghoulash' recipe using them (though to any Hungarians my recipe would most likely be a bit of a travesty) :-)

    One onion chopped,
    many, many cloves of garlic
    nice lamb pieces (or you can use choux steak (scuse spelling) diced and dredged)
    olive oil for sauteeing,
    plenty of paprika (I use the mild sweet variety)
    diced carrot
    diced celery
    diced potato
    a little red capsicum if on hand)
    two or three teaspoons of caraway seeds,
    a small piece of cinamon bark
    stock
    passata
    a little red wine if liked
    a touch of balsamic vinegar
    salt, pepper and a teaspoon of raw sugar.
    Cook slowly in the la crucierre starting on the stove and moving to a slow oven.

    Serve with pilau rice, pasta or mashed potato ( I prefer the latter), a generous dollop of thick Greek yoghurt and either a little fresh mint or parsley to garnish.

    250g diced meat, with 1 stick celery, one carrot and one potato plus about a cup (a little more if needed) and half a bottle of passata (or passata wizzed up from two or three medium tomatoes) will easily serve four or six with potato, rice and a good green Brussels sprouts, steamed till nicely tender are robust enough to stand on their own two feet with this meal. Asparagus for a nice treat also works very well as an accompanying veg.

    YOu've inspired me to knock up an orange poppyseed slice this afternoon!!

    Blessings,

    Mrs. E.,
    Australia.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.