Slideshow Widget

Breakfast and lunch

28 Oct 2008

PA220009


This is where I stand each morning simultaneously making lunches to be taken to school and work and also making breakfast. Only at this time of the year and only between 7and 8am there is a lovely shaft of sunlight, just for me.


Our kitchen is designed to be cool, from the days of wood fired cooking.
It's a light kitchen but apart from this little bit of sunshine it gets no direct sunlight.



Lately, well for the past month really, I have been suffering a lack of inspiration for both, it's time to refocus and put some proper thought into the job.
Nobody wants a lacklustre breakfast followed by a boring lunch.
What kind of a day would that be.



My little gift of sunlight, that beam that is just for me, should be enough to inspire me but I hate to admit that I have been ignoring it and committing the food sin of becoming boring!!!
Time for some serious breakfast and lunch menu planning.

Any ideas?



Shackleton resting

33 Responses to “Breakfast and lunch”

  1. I too can easily fall into a rut of boring food choices, especially for breakfast and have been thinking myself to doing something a little more exciting. What about say a layering of muisli, fruit (fresh or stewed) and yoghurt,with a tiny drizzle of honey and another lunch idea (which got from a friend recently)/ or to add to lunch is rice paper rolls, where you soak them and roll up your favourite fillings, raw vegies, maybe a little protein (tuna/chicken). You can put in carrots, celery, sprouts, lettuce, cucumber, capsicum etc. Hope this helps. Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about a slice of ham layed in a muffin tin, crack an egg into it a teaspoon of cream a shred of cheese and a sprinkle of chives then pop into oven for about 10-15 mins just until the egg is cook and cheese has melted yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, Jenny! You've asked the unanswerable!! (here, at least...) I am so sorry I can't offer any useful advice, but you can be sure I am looking forward to the comments you receive! Beautiful sun beam...Is is possible that it is perfectly timed for when the breakfast/lunch-making doldrums hit?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been enamored lately by bento box lunches... the care that goes into them! I really like this website:
    http://lunchinabox.net/

    Lots of ways to make the ordinary more special.

    Change of season also inspires me. Something about autumn, which has just arrived here, makes me throw dried fruit and nuts into everything... dried cranberries or apricots make a nice addition to porridge, or to bread dough which makes for nice toast, or even to rice. And a rice type pudding for breakfast is also yummy.

    When spring hits here.. I think more fresh yogurt with fresh fruit.. or fruit smoothies, nice and cool for breakfast. Pasta salads with fresh spring veg like asparagus and peas and snow peas...a little lemon zest and a lemony/garlic dressing, packed up for lunch. My children also like tortillas spread with cream cheese, sprinkled with fresh herbs, and a piece of ham/turkey, rolled up, and sliced into small bits.. pinwheel style.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that gorgeous cat. Looks just like my Noddy.

    Breakfast: buffet style: laid out cut fruit, 2 choices of cereal to be decadent, nuts, some of your nice homemade rolls I have read about, the smell of coffee or a special tea. Perhaps all served in the kitchen and then eaten outside in your beautiful garden.

    I must say I am in the same boat regarding dinner and just this week was hoping to try to make your pasties.....

    Perhaps for you: a barbeque? Hamburgers? Some nice sausages, a potato salad and a green salad?

    I blame the weather. Winter was easy with nice warming stews and soups and roasts.... who could forget the puddings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH, PS: I am having sushi everyday for lunch which I make myself. I also see that Linda over at Remote Treechanger has also made nori rolls and has detailed instructions for success..

    ReplyDelete
  7. hm ... my kitchen is painted the same color as yours, bright sunshiny yellow!! i can't resist taking pictures of it ... often. it looks so happy any time of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved the photo of the cat too!

    I've been sharing what I make for dh's packed lunch for the past week.
    http://atthegoodlife.blogspot.com/
    Might help inspire - I know it can be hard thinking of variety at times. Dh likes my lunches so prefers them to buying & I do not mind making them - I am a morning person so do it between computer time.

    Love Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Breakfasts in our home are taken care of by each person. It's the only meal to I don't do for everyone. We each have our preference for a certain cereal, or toast. My 12yo will sometimes make porridge for whomever would like it if she's making some for herself.

    Lunches are predictable here. A sandwich with the eater's preference of filling. A piece of fruit that takes their fancy and either rice crackers, buttered saladas or something that has been baked at home if there's anything left! Leftover scones or pikelets from a playdate the previous day. Biscuits that children have baked themselves...whatever is there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know what you mean I found myself making vegemite sandwiches again for the kids this morning and thinking great only four more weeks to go !!!

    Tomorrow it is going to be individual salads with our fresh eggs boiled nad home grown lettuce and cherry tomatoes and (store bought) cucumber and grated carrot and cheese.

    And as soon as I am off here I will go and mix up a pancake batter with some blueberries for breakfast.

    Thanks for the reminder.

    daisymum

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your pussy so much that I have put it as my background. Thanks Cherrie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Jenny,

    I hope you don't mind I am going to put that little quote from St Franics de Sales on my blog as well.

    it is simply perfect.

    daisymum

    ReplyDelete
  13. I confess I"m relieved to be in autumn/winter cooking now. I much prefer it. We eat porridge every morning with a variety of different toppings. I send leftover stews and soups in lunch accompanied by a slice of bread/butter, a piece of cheese, and an apple.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Our breakfasts are definitely uninspiring - weetabix and stewed apples for the girls each morning, and I have leftovers from the day before.

    Lunches though - we have a food flask so various different soups find their way into lunchboxes, definitely appreciated at this time of year. Crusty bread, cheese, yoghurt, fruit puree.

    At the moment we're finishing up much too much food from the girls' thanksgiving service. So, coleslaw and other salads, mushroom pate, salmon, ham and slices of quiche. Raw veggies and hummous or guacamole, a handful of twiglets, cheeses and savoury biscuits, cake cake and more cake!

    Tia

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have found that how I serve breakfast makes a big difference to how enjoyable it is. Standing over the kitchen counter grabbing a bite while I get food for the kids is a far cry from a meal that we sit down to together (but some mornings are more hectic than others, I'll admit!). Even if it's the same raisin bran I usually eat, if it's in a pretty bowl in view of a lovely vase of flowers on a fresh tablecloth, I feel refreshed and satisfied. On the recipe front, an autumn favorite (sorry, I know it's spring there, but these are really good!) of ours is the pumpkin waffles with toasted walnuts and sliced bananas at http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=521607. Bon appetit!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Angela, that breakfast sounds yummy and is basically what Stephen and I have every morning.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh White Lilly, yummo. Our chooks haven't been very forthcoming with their eggs for the last week which is part of the reason for our breakfast slump. I'm sure at least one of them has a nest hidden somewhere in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Willowcaroline. Thanks for the link and those yummy suggestions

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Hill upon Hill, I always find winter food easier but I'm determined this year to be a great summer cook.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Karen, I love my happy yellow kitchen too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What perfect timing Leanne. Thanks .

    ReplyDelete
  22. Tracy. I think the "predictable " part is what is getting to all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cherrie, Shackleton doesn't mind at all.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Sarah, yes cold weather cooking is so much easier isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. HiTtia, ah! The wonders of leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Carole,during the week I mostly eat my breakfast after everyone else has left for school/work. I never eat standing up and I always make sure my breakfast is served nicely and the coffee is hot.

    ReplyDelete
  27. My kiddos have fallen in love with goat cheese on toast with either tomato slices and fresh basil leaves or with marmalade. We are gluten free here so we use different grains daily. Millet,quinoa, oatmeal. One of my favorite ways to cook oatmeal is to use orange juice and zest with dried cranberies. No sugar needed if you like things on the tart side. Also cook grains in apple juice and add cinnamon and raisins. lunch is usually leftover supper(tea for you), or breads, cheeses and fruits.
    Grilled sandwhiches are always warming on chilly days. We also take a flat bread of somekind, spread it with cream cheese and add either ham/turkey and cranberry sauce and roll it up. We use corn tortillas to make lots of rollup style sandwhiches. Another great filling that goes over well is a mixture of 14 oz can of artichoke harts drained, 1/2 cup soft white cheese grated, 1/2 cup hard parmesan grated, 1/2 cup mayo. mix together and bake 20-30 minutes until brown and bubly-375degrees. Spread on crackers or inbetween soft rolls. Have fun and plenty of yum from the other recipes I have read about. Wendy Bussell

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Jenny - I'm glad you don't eat standing up! As for me, it's still something I'm trying to get away from. I find it hard to sit down and have a moment for my own breakfast with two kids under 3. For some reason we do better at this as a family at lunchtime and dinnertime. I should have remembered I was "preaching to the choir" :) - it's from you and Jewels that I've been learning about trying to slow down and make our home more nourishing! I do hope you enjoy the pumpkin waffle recipe, though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.