Holidays !!!!!!!

5 Sep 2008

PB060008


School holidays start today. Yay!


Stephen and Louis are also having a few days off. Yay!




PB060011


Walked into town today to change my library books, and choose some for Stephen and Louis because, although they both work in town, they have been toooooo lazy to go look for themselves.


Also checked out the op shop as they were having an end of winter clean out of all their winter stock.
Didn't find anything but I did find two really good crafts books, a Vogue Knitting book from the 80s or 90s with a collection of patterns from the 1930s to 1980s, some very nice things especially the children's knitwear, and the other is a handcraft book from the late seventies with some excellent sewing and knitting patterns for women's clothes and great explanantions for drafting and altering patterns to suit.
A great reference book.



Popped into the sewing machine shop as they seemed to have changed things a little and was met with the latest collection of Kaffe Fassett and Amy Butler fabrics plus some great wool, made in Australia, 100g for only $5.95.
Also they had some lovely braids, ricrac and buttons.
I didn't need anything but I have filed it away for future reference.
It's always nice to find new fabric shops as our supply here is dominated by Spotlight.
Within a couple of years of Spotlight moving to town every other fabric shop, apart from patchwork shops, had closed down.



It was nice to have an unhurried browse around town, well the bookshops and one or two other places.
Part of spending money wisely is knowing what is around so you can make an informed decision about how to use your money.
If you are going to sew and knit your own clothes or furnishings or whatever, a bit of groundwork can mean the difference between just getting something or getting what you really want at a good price.


It's Father's Day this Sunday so I plan on making my Dad some gingernut biscuits and something else - what I don't know.

I hope you have all had a wonderful week.
Thanks for coming to visit and for leaving your happy comments.
I wanted to say welcome too to any new readers this week.
I do so enjoy this little blog place I have and I love that others enjoy it too.
Have a happy weekend everyone.
And those in the northern hemisphere who have survived the return to school - Well done!




PB060016


9 Responses to “Holidays !!!!!!!”

  1. I was just talking about Spotlight the other day and their dominance in the cities. I remember going with Mum to Myer for fabric and patterns, now department stores seem only full of fashion and make up and homewares.
    Enjoy the holidays - still 3 weeks away here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jen,enjoy the time off with your family. Your walk sounds wonderful. I am unable to walk a distance anymore and I miss it very much. It's fun to hear of yours! Happy Father's Day to your dear Dad.

    Blessings, Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good evening Jenny
    I was able to leave work early today, so I also browsed thru a few shops. I have recently started using the local library again and last night I borrowed The Flower Hunter - the remarkable life of Ellis Rowan. (an Australian artist, who during WW1 ventured into New Guinea, she was the first white woman to do so and she was 70 years old!)I am looking forward to reading about her life.
    Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a glorious photo at the top of the page. Beautiful blue flowers. I also agree with supporting the little fabric shops over the dominent mass produced overtakers of society..spotlight. Braids, ric rac and buttons are also what I enjoy to buy. I would love to see them. Have a great two weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing the lovely photos. It is rainy here today, and summer is quickly fading into autumn. The pics really did brighten my day!
    I hope your family enjoys a beautiful Father's Day this weekend.
    Blessings,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Magnolias! I always say, "Don't Blink!" when ours is blooming. Have a wonderful school holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a spectacular portwine magnolia! Envy!

    Our local rural city of 25,000 now has only one shop (yes, you guessed Spotlight) selling wool. We do have 4 excellent craft/patchwork fabric shops though.

    I think mail order for wool will be the way of the future for us country women.

    I visited the Nundle Woollen Mills (near Tamworth) recently on holiday and they have some heavenly fibres! (I think they are just nundle.com.au...or something like that if you're interested.)

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holidays are just around the corner here, too... Jewish autumn holidays. :-) I look forward to that. Thanks for sharing your day with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holidays already? Ours are at the end of September.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.