Slideshow Widget

Boiled fruit cake

16 Aug 2008

PA170020




Just found a few moments between loads of washing and the homecoming of the long distance runner and his support team to visit blogger and give you the Boiled Fruit Cake recipe.
Now this recipe comes from Cookery the Australian Way, the 1969 edition that belonged first to my cousin then to me and then my sister to use for cooking lessons at school.


BOILED FRUIT CAKE

1 cup of sugar
I cup water
500g (1lb) dried mixed fruit
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1 teaspoon of bicarb soda
125g butter
1 cup self raising flour
1 cup plain flour
2 eggs ( beaten)

Put sugar, water, fruit, mixed spice,bicarb soda and butter in a large saucepan and stir over heat until boiling.
Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
Add eggs.
Sift in flours and other ingredients and mix thoroughly.
Place in greased and lined cake tin, either 7" round or 8" square.
Cook in 180C oven for 1 hour.
Allow to stand in tin for 15 minutes before turning out.

As I said before it is yummy warm with cream or custard as a pudding but is meant to be left to cool completely and then eaten for morning or afternoon tea.


Enjoy.



PA170014

6 Responses to “Boiled fruit cake”

  1. I've stil got my Cookery The Australian Way too! Such a useful book. Might make some of that cake. There is nothing like it especially with homemade custard. Cherrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the same recipe that I use, it came from my mum. Now I know where she got it from.

    cheers Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Jenny :-) I shall definately be making this over the weekend :-)

    *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much!!I will making this today

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for taking the time to type this out! I will definitely try it. I LOVE fruit cakes of all description.
    ~Elaine~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jenny

    I've posted my boiled fruit cake here. http://www.homesteadblogger.com/atthegoodlife/107937/

    I look forward to trying yours.

    Love Leanne

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.