Slideshow Widget

A birthday in my life August

14 Aug 2008

camellia

I awoke early as usual happy to find the fire was still glowing and warm and needing only a little kindling and paper and it was burning brightly.

I awoke to be 49, that seems so much older than 48.

I sat by the fire , knitting and listening to the birds waking outside the window and doing their wake up twittering.

Kate was the first to wake and at first didn’t realise that there was something to celebrate.

She soon sprang into action , waking the boys and Stephen and then the four of them trooped in singing a rather scratchy morning voice rendition of Happy Birthday accompanied by some small gifts.

Breakfast was fresh fruit, juice, croissants, jam and very nice coffee.

Then Queen Jenny retired to her position by the fire while lunches were made and everyone got ready to leave, well Kate and Louis only, actually. Andy is still not quite right and dear Stephen had organsied a day off work to be my servant for the day. Just as it should be.

The morning was spent reading, watching some Olympics action, and once we were safely past 10.30 ( morning tea time) one or two chocolates were savoured. Stephen’s mum rang for a long chat and all the news about her new house in the mountains.

tuesday 2

While I was indulging my tendency towards Olympic standard laziness Stephen cleaned the kitchen from top to bottom, scrubbing into all the corners and wiping down every surface including the flying kangaroos.

After the 100m freestyle men’s final we headed off for lunch at Café Blue. It is such a long time since we had a lunch for two at a restaurant, I so enjoyed it. A glass of Janz champagne and a delicious chicken salad and two hours later we emerged to do a little shopping for some outdoor chairs for the garden ( part of my birthday present).
We found just the thing, metal chairs , last years stock separated from the matching table and now orphaned and waiting for a home at a bargain price.
Waiting just for us, perfect.

Home to a full house waiting to celebrate with an afternoon tea made by mum ( as if I was hungry). More presents and a happy house.

Early evening the guests had gone home, Kate and Louis were finally home from work and Kate from an afterschool presentation with the author Andy Griffiths.

A phone call from my brother, an uncharacteristically long chat actually.

Guess what we had for dinner, all of us thoroughly stuffed from too much lunch or afternoon tea? We had the most delicious banana splits made by Stephen with his homemade chocolate sauce. Perfect.

I have just been presented with my birthday cake and Happy Birthday has been sung again. Nobody actually wants any cake, maybe later, maybe tomorrow.

Stephen has been making the very best coffee today and he has just brought me my after dinner cup so I’ll glide regally off and enjoy my last few hours of being birthday royalty.


P1010003


42 Responses to “A birthday in my life August”

  1. Happy (belated) birthday to you, Jenny! Sounds like a lovely day with lots of food. Hope you enjoyed it. If you feel 49 sounds old, just remember Madonna is turning 50 on Saturday. :-)

    Christine from the NL

    PS: off to write about my day now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! Congratulations and many many happy returns Jenny.

    Jules

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday! It sounds as though you had a wonderful day! Foodie and relaxing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a lovely day, full of recognition from your family for the wonderful job you do caring for them. How lovely to be honoured like that. And where do you find men that clean the kitchen from top to bottom for you??? I am envious;)
    cheers Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Jenny, sounds like a lucious day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful day...I love that last picture, it is very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday! We have a 14th birthday here today also.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Feliz cumpleanos Jenny! I'm glad you had a great day with your family.

    My best,

    Anna Marie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday Jen, and what a lovely one ,I might add. Mine is on Saturday,the 16th. I will be 49 as well....I am afraid my body feels much older though.

    Glad your day was wonderful....

    Blessings,Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday, Little Jenny Wren! What a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday!

    Having turned 50 a few years ago, I have to say the late 40s and early 50s are a delightful age. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. oooh a very happy birthday for the 14th. Sounds like a lovely day!

    Love Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a blissful day! Sounds so wonderful -- right down to the banana splits for dinner!

    A very happy birthday! (I'm not late....it's still the 14th here!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Queen Jenny my love, happy birthday! You're right, 49 is a much wiser and more beautiful age. I really enjoyed reading about your day. I'm glad you enjoyed being treated like a queen by your family. Birthdays are such life affirming days, are they not?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've posted my day :)
    Birthday Blessings,
    Niki

    ReplyDelete
  16. A late HAPPY BIRTHDAY from the other side off the world. Sound really good and wonderful.
    Vera

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy birthday to you dear Jenny!

    I´m in!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happ Birthday. I hope you had a lovely day.

    Warmly, Mrs M.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely day - as you deserve!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Birthday! I'm glad that it was a beautiful day for you. I love the photo of the stack of dishes. So simple, yet so lovely.

    I've posted my day!

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Birthday Jenny. Having had a few months of being 49, I definitely don't think its old - not sure how I'm going to feel about the next birthday though!

    ReplyDelete
  22. congarts on your birthday. I awoke this morning to be 37 instead of the lovely 36 i was yesterday. don't we have the best month for birthdays? all wonderful people are born in august i am sure! i am off for morning tea at my best friends (after waking at 4.30 to get dh off to work) then lunch with another lovely friend and out for pizza for tea after which i have a 45 min drive so my eldest can play a 9.30 game of netball to be back home by approx 12am. never get a day off from being mum:~\

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy birthday, Jenny! I'm glad you had a lovely day, treated like royalty! (I guess it's the 15th there already, so this is a *belated* birthday wish.)

    ReplyDelete
  24. A belated Happy Birthday to you Jenny, my oldest celebrates hers today (she is 15) so she will be royalty when she arrives home fomr school this afternoon!
    Glad to hear you had a great day.
    -hugs-
    lis

    ReplyDelete
  25. Some late birthday wishes from the birthday land that is my house.. it sounds like a scrumptious day!!! Sending you warm wishes that this will be a stellar year!

    ReplyDelete
  26. The Happiest of Birthdays to you, Jenny!!!!

    I'm glad you had a great day!
    Alesha

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy birthday Jenny, I hope you enjoy many many more! I love your blog so... What a beautiful life you have, and thank you for allowing us to peek into it. Many blessing for you and your family
    Sincerely
    Pam Watts

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Jenny :) Sending birthday hugs - so glad it was a lovely day! Love, Q

    ReplyDelete
  29. Glad you had a wonderful birthday!

    love, Tina :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Happy belated birthday, Jenny! It looks like you had quite a nice day. I'm glad for that.

    L

    ReplyDelete
  31. Happy Belated Birthday Jenny. Hope you had a lovely day :)

    Am writing my day now, albeit a day late :)

    *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  32. Sigh! What an absolutely perfect day. Happy Belated Birthday wishes to you, Little Jenny Wren. I wonder what it would be like to be "Queen For The Day". Sigh! All that Royal Treatment from family and friends. The food, and presents, but most important family and friends. Sigh!

    Hugs, Aunt Bea

    ReplyDelete
  33. Happy birthday Jenny! Sorry I missed a Day in My Life this month - travelling for work - ugh! But sounds like you had an absolutely lovely day, just as you deserve.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Happy Birthday! With a day you deserved.

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  35. Happy birthday to you! I just posted my "day in my life" as we were away on an island with no electricity on the 14th.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.