The recipes and a day in my life reminder

11 Jul 2008

P9100011



I can't believe it's Friday again. The days just seem to fly by. Between, lighting fires and keeping them burning brightly, doing the washing and then trying to get it dry on the line and by the fire I seem to have had little time for much else this week.


I did go into school again on Monday to help with the knitting. Many of the children had made good progress with their knitting and were ready to make their balls , some had made knitting that defied all concepts of a piece of knitting, so many extra stitches, holes and areas that looked like spider's webs. Most we were able to salvage and the children were pleased with their work.


I have made a big effort this week to keep the house as tidy as possible to avoid the dreariness that sometimes comes with living in a house full of half dry clothes. It is sunny this morning so I'll put everything that still a bit damp out for a dose of nature's goodness.


Kate has her school cross country run this afternoon. She is not looking forward to it but at least once it's over she can forget about it for another twelve months. So I'll be there to give her some encouragement and a hug as she crosses the line.



P9100001



This is where we found Badger this morning, cunningly camouflaged beside the cat food box staring wistfully up at the fish tank on the fridge.
Everyone needs a dream.


Now here are the recipes I promised. First up is Girlie Bread which has become more popular with the menfolk the more I make it although it may be the lack of an alternative that makes them eat it. The ingredient they object to is the honey. Normally I don't like honey in my cakes and bread either unless it's baklava or similar. But in this sweet bread I think it's just perfect. I don't use a particularly strong tasting honey. I use Stephens' Golden Bee Honey which is quite mild compared with their Leatherwood Honey.




P8050016



This is a bread machine recipe and I haven't tried hand making it although it doesn't seem a particularly sticky mixture.


1 cup tepid water
3 tablespoons of honey
2 tablespoons of butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/4 cups of white bread flour
1 cup wholemeal bread flour
1 teaspoon of yeast

plus 150g (6oz) sultanas
1 beaten egg for brushing over

Last time I made it with only white flour and the recipe worked out fine, just a little stickier.


Now you pop the ingredients in the bread maker in the order that best suits your machine and set it on its way on the dough only cycle.Don't add the fruit yet.
Once the machine has done its job take the dough out and knead a little on a lightly floured surface. Pat it out flat and sprinkle the sultanas over then knead and mix them into the dough.
Divide the dough into three equal portions and make into long sausage shapes and then plait them. pop them on a prepared baking tray, cover with oiled plastic wrap ( I use an old bread packet that I cut to open out flat and oiled it. I have been using the same wrapper for about six months and haven't had to re-oil it. I just fold it up when I have finished and store it in the pantry ready for the next time.


Let the dough rest and rise in a warm spot for about an hour maybe two until it has doubled in size then brush with the egg wash and place in a preheated oven at 200C (400F) for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden.
Let it rest for 10 minutes and then eat it warm, or eat it later a little less warm or eat it tomorrow with butter or toasted and then buttered.




P7230046


Now for the Kiss Biscuits.

There are many different versions of these. The common factor seems to be that they are two rather plain biscuits sandwiched together with butter icing.
My recipe is an Australian Women's Weekly recipe from the Sweet Old-fashioned Favourites book.

125g (4oz) butter
1/2 cup castor sugar
1 egg
1/3 cup plain flour
1/4 cup self raising flour
2/3 cup cornflour
1/4 cup custard powder.

Beat together the butter and sugar until smooth and creamy, add the egg and beat only until combined.
Stir in sifted dry ingredients in two batches.
Spoon into a piping bag and make rosettes about 3cm ( 1 1/4") across on a lightly greased baking tray .
Bake in a moderately hot oven (190C, 375F) for about 10 minutes.
Allow to cool completely.

THE ICING
60g (2oz) butter
3/4 cup icing sugar
2 teaspoons milk.


I just whizz the lot together in my little Oscar food processor ( a great but now discontinued machine) The instructions say to cream the butter until it is white then gradually beat in half the icing sugar then the milk and then the last of the icing sugar.

Now assemble the biscuits by pairing them and joining them with the icing.
You can dust them with a little icing sugar when you have finished.





Just a little reminder that Monday is the 14th of July, so not only is it Bastille day it is also time for this month's A Day in My Life for those who want to join in.
You can leave your name in the comments of this post and we ( I) might actually be organised before the 14th - will wonders never cease.



18 Responses to “The recipes and a day in my life reminder”

  1. Hello Jenny,
    I shall record that day in my life again. We shall be back in Melbourne. The 14th is the start of a new school term for us.
    I know that house full of damp washing feeling.
    Keep cosy. Ann.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenny :) I will do a day with you again - and looking forward to it!

    Thanks so much for the Kiss Biscuits recipe. Love, Q

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Jenny,
    I am back on board for the 14th this month. I missed it last month as it took me completely by surprise (I don't really know how that can happen).
    Hope your washing dries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jenny, I have a place put aside for a day in my life in my blog schedule, since it is school holidays it seems so far off.

    The kids loved the cat pic, as it reminds them of their own cat.

    Our washing line is full too, in front of the wood heater.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmm! I will definitely be having a go at these recipes!

    Jenny, thank you so much for your lovely comments about the doll I made. I value your opinion very highly.

    Love, Tina :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm enjoying the 14th project. I'm in! We have a damp feeling here as well--it's hot and humid!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I might try these cookies one of these days, although finding custard powder might be difficult here.
    I'll do "a day in my life" too, sounds like fun!

    Christine from the NL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jenny,
    I've been reading you every day. Its hard to think of you in 'dreary' winter while here in Maine the days are long and hot. I'm in again for a day in my life. I need to figure out how to get the icon onto my blog. I'm a bit slow on those things. Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jenny,

    Count me in, I will be playing again.
    Loved your kitty pictures and your dolls, they are just so adorable.

    ~Maria

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm definitely having a go at your girlie bread. Yes, I'll do another 14th. I had a great aunt whose name was "Girlie", she's long gone now though, I'll think of her when I make the bread!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will be joining in here in SW Virginia.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Jenny
    Count me in for Monday 14th - Could be a busy day but there again it could be a slow one
    Wont be around for the next two unfortunately:(
    Take care
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Jenny,
    Thanks for the reminder! I missed this last time and was so disappointed. I'll be ready for Monday. :-)

    Amy
    www.homesteadblogger.com/simplefolk/

    ReplyDelete
  14. It can't be that time of the month again already can it? Thanks for the reminder and please count me in.

    I like the look of those biscuits - may have to sweeten up the girls with them!
    Tia

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hu Jenny,
    thank you for the recipes. I think, I try the biscuits for tomorows afternoon coffee.
    And I'm on board for the 14th.
    Greetings Vera

    ReplyDelete
  16. I forgot last month, so I'm glad you gave us a reminder. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jenny,
    I'll be in again this month from sunny and hot Northern Ontario!
    Cheers,
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  18. So I sign up here for the day in my life?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.