My friend , the couch

15 Jul 2008



I was so pleased this morning when our load of wood arrived on time as promised.
No more trying to eek out our wood supply and hoping for sunny days.
Last week's wet weather and the need to dry all the washing by the fire had eaten into our wood supply and left us almost desperate.
We had about one day's supply left and hadn't heard from the woodman until Monday morning.



I spent the morning trying to catch up on everyone's days and also get the kitchen clean and tidy including washing the floor.
As the morning wore on I felt worse and worse.






By lunchtime the couch, the fire ,a stack of books and a snuggly warm crocheted rug were my very best friends.

I spent the afternoon trying to read but mostly sleeping.
It was wonderful to give myself permission to just be unwell.
Kate arrived home and made me the best cup of tea, rang her dad to tell him I was unwell and stoked up the fire.





Stephen came home around 6pm and without any fuss got to work on dinner, finishing the soup I started preparing yesterday and also making some mini garlic pizzas to go with it using the pizza dough I had in the fridge from Saturday night.

I have been pampered and fed and now I'm off to bed.
I'll try to visit everyone tomorrow to read about your 14th July.
Thanks so much to everyone who took part, around thirty people this month, and also thanks to all of you who take the time to visit "the day in my lifers" especially if you have the time to leave a comment.


20 Responses to “My friend , the couch”

  1. I love my husband and eighteen year old son but when I am sick, I miss my daughter (who is married with four children).

    She has a gift for knowing the perfect things to do to make one feel better.

    I am training my son though, at least his wife and children will be able to benefit. :)

    I pray you are feeling better very soon. We're suppose to begin a heat wave by tomorrow (U. S. Midwest area).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get well soon, Jenny!!! What a kind family you have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry you are not feeling well. Rest and recover.
    I love reading your blog.
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do hope you are feeling better, and it sounds so warm and cozy by the fire...

    ReplyDelete
  5. A couch can be your bestest friend some days.

    I've awarded you a brillante[sic] blog award thingy. Please stop by my blog and collect the logo, and maybe pass it on to others.

    Hope you're feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jenny - sorry to hear you've been unwell, but isn't it fun to be pampered?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you feel better soon Jenny.

    Best wishes,

    Anna Marie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I do hope you will be feeling better soon! It is hard to give oneself permission to get sick and it seems like your lovely family stepped up to the plate for you!
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jenny :) Sending hugs and prayers today, hoping that you will feel much better very soon. Love, Q

    ReplyDelete
  10. Get well soon Jenny. You have a wonderful family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Jenny, I hope you feel better.

    Take it easy - I know that is a bit to ask when you have children running around. My second boy is also down with a cold and it is quite hot here, so he really is having a rough time.

    I hope you rest and slowly but surely you will begin to feel better :)

    mari

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jenny

    Glad your wood arrived!!! I too dry my clothes by fire - I have no desire to own a dryer.

    Keep warm & rest today.

    Love Leanne NZ

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sorry you're not feeling well Jenny. It is nice though, to be able to just snuggle down and rest when you're not well, rather than feeling like you need to rush about.

    I hope you're feeling better very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Get well soon Jenny...rest is the best thing...another advantage to being at home full-time...no need to worry about having to call work! Take care,
    Love, Tina :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope you feel better tomorrow Jenny. You are all blessed to have each other at your house. xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I never thought about it that way before but our couch is one of my best friends too. Its lovely to sink into its arms. =) Hope you are 'all better' now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ha! Just last night I devoured my Carl Larsson book cover to cover....cozied up on my couch! So to see this post this morning is funny. Wishing you the best of health.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.