Tasha

20 Jun 2008

Shoo Fly by Pauline Eblé Campanelli



I received two emails this morning letting me know about the death of Tasha Tudor.



I first read of Tasha when I saw a review of her book Tasha Tudor's Heirloom Crafts published in 1995.

I was fascinated by this woman who chose to live a life similar to that lived by people of the 1830s in the north east of the USA in her hand built house made by her son.


The book was not available locally at the time and I just kept her somewhere in the back of my mind, checking every now and then in the library catalogue but to no avail.




In early 2001 I was reading through some of my old craft magazines and came upon the book review once again.

This time I ordered a copy through the local book store.

It took three or four months to get here but what a treasure when it arrived.

Written by Tovah Martin whose writing I had admired in Victoria magazine and accompanied by many beautiful pictures I was entranced by her basket making , her garden, her weaving and candlemaking, her exquisite dolls,toys and puppets and of course her magical illustrations.





That was my dose of Tasha.

No one else I knew had even heard of her or was vaguely interested when I started rabbiting on about her.

This was before I found the world of blogs and kindred spirits scattered all over the globe.




Red Cupboard I by Jo Moulton



Since then I have found a legion of Tasha fans, included dear Jayne in Canada who sent me ( and Kate) a beautiful children's book for Christmas " The Christmas Cat" written by Tasha's daughter Efner and illustrated by Tasha, and dear Jewels, my kindred spirit in so many ways , also had a great love of Tasha and hoped to meet her one day. Some of us even made a shawl inspired by Tasha




Tasha Tudor's family maintain a family website and they also have a memorial page for her to mark her passing.

It seems to have been a life well lived and her inspiration has kindled a longing for a simpler more fulfilling life in many who have read of her brazen stand against the hollowness and brashness of so much of modern life.




An Abundant Life by Jo Moulton

15 Responses to “Tasha”

  1. So sad to hear of Tasha Tudor's death via your blog. Tasha Tudor certainly lived her life philosophy which she summed up in a quote from Henry David Thoreau "If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours."
    Tasha first came to my notice via the television programme 60 minutes many years ago. Since then I've accumulated a number of books on her life. I think my favourite has to be Tasha Tudor's Garden. I'd defy any one to look at this book and not want to dash straight into the garden.
    I'm an inveterate lurker and have never posted a comment before even though I'm a regular reader of your very interesting blog.
    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Pearl, I am also a serial lurker, but felt moved enough to comment today, also sad at the passing of a lady who in her own quiet way has influenced so many of us scattered the world over. We live on the Portugese islands of the Azores, right in the middle of the Atlantic and even in these hi-tech days of communication, the 'old ways' are still so much in evidence here as in Tasha's life - long may it last. People leading 'simple' lives in a dignified way, all helping to create a generous and caring community. Tasha's example has mercifully reached a much wider audience...her work is done, may she rest in peace, her legacy has left the world a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tasha has had an influence on my life since I was very young when she drew my portrait! My grandmother lived a very similar lifestyle and the two of them sent letters by "sparrow post." I have to write something on my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Jen, so sorry to hear of the passing of dear Tasha...hers was a life truly worth living...thanks for sharing.

    Blessings,Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pearl, thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I've just found that the library has Tasha's garden book so I have reserved it to borrow and enjoy.Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Susan, nice to meet you, I've often wondered who the reader in the Azores is and now I know. How wonderful to be able to see people living in the old ways. Thank you for your comments about Tasha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sarah, how wonderful. I would love to read about your experience of Tasha and all about your Granny.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was so very sad to hear of Tasha's passing. She has been such an inspiration to me. I always have one of her books nearby to get lost in. What a magical and beautiful world she made for herself and those around her. I was left with small children and I always thought how she made it and I could too! She was such an inspiration in more ways than one. She will be greatly missed.
    By the way, I have never commented either, and I just have to say I love your blog. You are an inspiration also! Your dolls are so sweet.
    Selia

    ReplyDelete
  9. I treasure my book of fairy tales illustrated by Tasha Tudor.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry to hear of the passing of Tasha Tudor. Perhaps she is now reveling in the presence of others who lived a life as she did. I also love the book Tasha Tudor's Garden. What an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was able to read the book you speak of this past winter. I did order it through our library which has quite a variety about the region and if it is not in our local library they order it. Does your library have a website...I love ours!

    It is sad as she was a very interesting woman, may she rest in peace!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good Afternoon Jenny
    Sad to hear of Tasha Tudor's passing. I 'found' her thru the Victoria mag also, some years ago. I have only come across limited info of her, but I shall be following up her garden book.
    Her saying, "Taking joy in all that one does", are words we could all live by. I would have loved to be invited to one of her afternoon tea parties & view her garden & house.
    PS. I wrote to Victoria mag when they ceased publication, saying how disappointed my dear MIL & I were. Not sure if the 'new' Victoria mag has the same feel as the old publications.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jenny, I was unaware of Tasha Tudor's legacy until I entered blogland. So sad to hear about her death.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good Evening Jenny;

    Yes, the passing of Tasha Tudor is sad. I remember the first time I saw her book "The Private world of Tasha Tudor" in the local library, I brought it home and I was hooked. I realized that you could live a simple life and stay true to yourself. I began to purchase many of her books from used book dealers at amazon.com. She was truly an inspiration.
    blessings to you and yours,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tasha had illustrated my favorite story as a little girl, A Little Princess. It wasn't until I was in college and out to tea with my mom that I ever saw her work again. She bought me a copy of a book about Tasha that we found. It was then that I discovered the treasure that was Tasha. Now, I have quite a few of her books and read through them all the time. She will be missed.
    Speaking of missed treasures--how is Jewels? Do you know?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.