Recipes.

23 May 2008

P7230046


Last day of school today , three weeks holiday.

Kate's class is having a party so each child had to contribute.

I made Kiss Biscuits, one of my mum's specialties.




P7230043


We tested them last night and they were pretty good.
I kept a few back for morning tea at home.


I promised some recipes following my kitchen post last week.




plum sauce





Rhonda asked about what she thought was cordial in the little bottles.
It is actually plum sauce and my first experiment with using Ezy Sauce. The Ezy Sauce mix had been in my pantry for at least five years so I didn't expect much.
I was happily rewarded with the most beautiful coloured sauce made from our semi sour garden plums. It doesn't taste quite as good as it looks but I think it will improve with age.




egg and ham pie



Nikki asked for the recipe for this pie.

It is the good old stand by "Egg and Bacon Pie".

It relies on the best ingredients to be truly yummy: smoked free range bacon, home grown fresh backyard eggs, a slash of full cream milk, freshly picked parsley and home grown tomatoes.

However if you don't have those the supermarket varieties still give a pie that boys especially love to eat, the colours just won't be so vivid.


I do cheat and use packaged puff pastry.


Normally I put a lid on the pie and don't use tomato but I only had one sheet of pastry so I topped it with something pretty instead.

My mum never put a lid on her pie so I'm not really breaking the rules.



I use 4 to 6 eggs, broken into a bowl and lightly mixed with a fork, then I add a splosh of milk, some chopped up bacon, usually about four rashers but less if that's all I have, some salt and freshly ground pepper. Gently mix and pour into a pastry lined pie dish.



Now you can sprinkle with some chopped parsley and sliced tomato or put a lid on your pie. Give the pastry an egg wash with the little bit that is left in the mixing bowl. Pop it into a moderately hot oven (200C) for about 20 minutes or until the pastry is golden and the egg is set.



Some people leave the eggs so that there are whole yolks in the pie and that looks pretty. Some people cook the bacon first. It's up to you. Really it's the ultimate fast food and always looks cheerful.






P5190029




Rhonda also asked about the salad dressing in the little jug.
It's from a Donna Hay magazine (issue 36 )


It's called Lemon Creme Fraiche Dressing and it is yummy.


You need: 1/2 cup creme fraiche

1 clove of garlic crushed

2 tablespoons lemon juice

sea salt and cracked black pepper




You just stir to combine in a non metallic bowl and then I poured it into a little jug to serve. Some of my family don't like dressing on their salad and some only like a little.
By serving it separately everyone can suit themselves.





I think that's all.
I know you will probably want the Kiss Biscuits recipe as well but one of the cats has just curled up on my lap and I don't want to disturb him , he's keeping me warm. So I'll have to give you that one another day.



An Ode to Kate



P7220030




Rainbow Kate





P7220035




Pretty hair Kate




P7220039




A gift for my Kate, many years ago.





14 Responses to “Recipes.”

  1. Hi Jenny,

    Now I want to bake an egg and bacon pie, might be in my menu plan this coming week! Thanks as always for the inspiration and the way your photos of the everyday make everything look special :)
    Lis

    ReplyDelete
  2. How well you know your readers, Jenny...at least this one! I would love the recipe for the Kiss Biscuits; they look divine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Jenny! I will try both the pie and the dressing recipes. And yes, I would love the Kiss biscuit recipe, they look scrumptious.
    Blessings,
    Niki

    ReplyDelete
  4. What wonderful recipes, I can't wait to try them!
    Thank you for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for the recipes, Jenny. I've never heard of ezy sauce mix. Is it a Fowlers product like jamsetta or pickling spice?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You can use a piping bag! I am incredibly caggy-handed, so admire your little swirls.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, those cookies! They look like one isn't enough to taste. :-)
    Lovely recipes, I might try the vinaigrette!

    Christine from the NL
    PS: it's obvious Kate likes color!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love seeing the beautiful pictures of your days at home. My house is occasionally (often) messier than I would like, but it is still my favorite place in the world. It a blessing to be able to be home all day doing little things that bring comfort to ourselves and our families. Thank you for the yummy recipes - I can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your 'a gift for my Kate' brought back memories for me. My Mother is passed on now...but called me Kate also. sometimes, katy-did.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know about anyone else...but I would love a slice of that egg and bacon pie!☺

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been reading for a week now and I really enjoy your blog. Nice pie. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those kiss biscuits look yummy! And they remind me of something my mother makes. I look forward to the recipe to see if it's anything similar.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I made the salad dressing to day and just loved it. This from someone who uses premade bottled dressings. The freshness of the lemon was just lovely.

    I enjoy your blog very much and have been reading through all your posts.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.