snuggling weather

29 Apr 2008

P6290016





It has quite quickly become colder around here, almost a frost this morning and I'm sure my mum would have been walking through a frost on her early morning stroll on the other side of the hill.

I'm having second thoughts now when I go to spring out of bed, "where are my snuggly slippers". The oiled wood floors feel cold to naked toesies and it's surprising how crabby you can get when your feet are cold.





P6290004




There has been some hard work going on around here.
Yesterday Louis stacked an entire load of wood on his own and made his own hot lunch while I was gadding about in town.

Stephen has been replacing old rotting weatherboards on the front of the house with recycled stripped weatherboards and taking the opportunity to stuff some insulation batts into the walls giving the house a cosier blanket at least across one wall - more to come.

Our op shop crocheted rugs do the same for us, keeping us cosy as the temperature begins to drop.





P6290005




It is still beyond my belief that someone could have put so much time and effort and wool into these rugs and then they are just given away by others without a thought. Even though I don't know the makers when you cosy yourself up in one of these rugs you can feel the contented love that went into their making.




P6290006



I busied myself on the weekend putting together an autumn/winter reading collection from books that I have found over the past few months at the op shops, except for the Persephone book of course.
Because our main bookshelves now have a double layer of books, I find that my thrifted books get lost and forgotten.
I trot off to the library and get more to read and my "new" books sit unread.
I've put my two latest library books there as well.


So here is my reading list:


Little Nell by Charles Dickens


Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell


Cider with Rosie by Laurie Lee


Village School by 'Miss Read' , a 1963 edition, an old orange covered Penguin edition


Mariana by Monica Dickens


One Pair of Hands by Monica Dickens


The Room upstairs by Monica Dickens, a hardback 1967 edition with a gorgeous cover


Love on a Branch Line by John Hadfield, an original 1959 first edition hardback with an even more gorgeous cover.
Do you remember the television adaption of this book? I loved it.


Howards End by E.M. Forster.
Do you remember this film with Emma Thompson and the beautiful Helena Bonham Carter?
I loved that too.


The Grassmere Journals by Dorothy Wordsworth


The Mammoth Cheese by Sheri Holman.
I don't know anything about this author or this book but I was attracted by the artwork on the cover.
( Can you see a theme developing here?)


Alison Uttley: Country World, memories of childhood.
This is a library book so I'll have to get started on it soon.


The Harp In the South by Ruth Park.
I love Ruth Parks novels and her autobiographical work.
I haven't read this one before and found it on the 50c table at the op shop last week.


The Rosemary tree by Elizabeth Goudge.
I haven't read any of her books before but I did get one out of the library on a recommendation and then became involved in other things and didn't read more than a couple of chapters.
This was also on the 50c table .


Excellent woman by Barbara Pym.
A library book,it was recommended to me by the same reviewer.


The last one on the shelf is my Vere Hodgson book that I may or may not read.



Actually, I can be so flighty and sanguine that my attention could be diverted at any moment and I'll head off on another tangent but ,as I see these books each time I come through the front door, I'm hoping they will call to me and I will spend some happy hours finding out all their secrets.

9 Responses to “snuggling weather”

  1. Huge Miss Read fan of course. Also love Elizabeth Goudge. Have been wanting to read Wives and Daughters.. will have to look that out at our library next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dear Jen, we have had some sunggling weather here even though we are in late Spring. I love the cooler weather and it was a joy to sunggle up on the couch with a good book. I just picked one up at a yard sale called~The Country Store~. You can read about it on my blog. I have really enjoyed it thus far...
    Love your collection of books. They all seem very interesting.
    Thanks for sharing this wonderful post....

    Blessings,Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your home seems to be perfectly cozy, and ready for the cooler weather to come.
    Blessings,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. My flight home to Brisbane last night was cancelled so I spent the night in Launceston so I can attest to how cold it was this morning. Brrrrrrrrrr
    I did get to stay at the Grand Chancellor Hotel which was not too shabby and toasty warm.
    I am in love with the opshops in Launceston, I wished I had had more time to explore them and more space in my suitcase as well. LOL I did get some lovely things but saw many more that I just didn't have space for.
    You certainly live in an exceptionally beautiful part of the world Jenny.
    Cheers, Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your home is sounding nice and warm and inviting. I read the Harp in the South way back when I was in high school and I loved it. The sequel - something to do with an Orange - is really good too. Might try and find my copies and reread them.

    Libby

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh...I haven't seen the movie Wives and Daughters and would like to read the book first...I'll see if i can find it at some thrift shop.
    I'm thankful for the time you spend with us here on the web; it is encouraging. Your simple life inspires us who are trying to live within our means; that we can be surrounded by beauty regardless of budget. We can set out to accomplish the work of our hands and bless those around us in the process!
    God bless!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. It takes a while to get into an Elizabeth Goudge book, but they're worth persevering with. I hope you enjoy the Barbara Pym! I loved it! I too am reading "Mariana", but I can't find the time to sit down properly with it at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the photo of your cozy fire. I miss having a woodstove now that we are in an apartment. There is no nicer heat.

    I love Elizabeth Gouge too. My other favorites of hers are Gentian Hill, and the trilogy about the Elliot family. They are, in order, The Bird in the Tree, Pilgrim's Inn and the Heart of the Family. I've been gradually acquiring them as I find them in thrift stores or manage to find them for a reasonable price on Amazon.com. I am going to try my library to see if they have any of the other books you listed.

    FYI - my husband went up on the Sonific Site last night and they are closing down as of May
    1st. They didn't send notices as they have almost a billion people who are using them.

    Blessings,

    Mary L

    ReplyDelete
  9. When you've read The Harp in the South go on to Poor Man's Orange (the sequel). There is also a "prequel" - Missus. I love Ruth Park's autobiography, both volumes!

    As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning follows Cider With Rosie and is just as lyrical.
    I wish I'd never read the biography of Laurie Lee. I don't like him as much now, can't reconcile the man with his writing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.