Surprises

25 Mar 2008

P5250033


We are entering a season of sweet surprises.
Rain overnight, heavy rain. Such a wonderful sound, such a surprise. So often forecast but so rarely arriving.

Bunches and bunches of grapes, untouched by wasps or birds, just waiting for us to feast on them.


P5250031


Touches of Autumn all around, no toadstools yet but some leaves are beginning to let go and flutter down. Various neighbours are having wood delivered in expectation of the cooler weather or perhaps to hurry it along.



P5250026


I've spent the morning putting the house to rights and sampling chocolate and finally settling to some doll making interspersed with reading about Nella Last - enjoying it very much.


P5260034


In answer to the requests for the lemon delicious recipe , here it is. I use a Margaret Fulton recipe to be found in her "Encyclopedia of Food and Cookery", which has recently been reissued in a slightly different format. Although she used to be avoided by food snobs she seems to have gained acceptance with age and even celebrated. I have had this book since 1983 and it has seen me successfully through many meals.



LEMON DELICIOUS

A delicate cake on top and a tangy lemon sauce underneath.

45g ( 1 1/2 oz) butter

3/4 cup caster sugar

2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind

3 eggs, separated

3 tablespoons flour

1 cup of milk

1/4 cup of lemon juice

pinch of salt



Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.

Add lemon rind and egg yolks and beat well.

Sprinkle sifted flour over top and stir in with milk and lemon juice.

Whip egg whites with salt until stiff and fold lightly into pudding.

Spoon into a greased 6 cup ovenproof dish and place in a roasting tin containing enough hot water to come half way up the sides of dish. ( I must admit I don't always remember to do this and the pudding turns out fine but it cooks faster)

Bake in a preheated moderately slow oven ( 160C/325F) for 1 hour or until cake topping is cooked when tested with a skewer.

Serves 6.

Serve with whipped cream.

ENJOY.


For those who asked the knitted Easter egg pattern can be found at Little Cotton Rabbit. I had to fiddle with it a little to suit the eggs I bought but that was fairly easy.

P5250027

14 Responses to “Surprises”

  1. I too have that Margaret Fulton recipe book, my mum bought it for me when i was finishing high school. I treasure it so much, as my mum was a great cook but I never took the time to learn from her.

    I have this desire to knit lately, must be the arrival of some cooler weather, where do you find your patterns and get your wool supplies from? The choices in my area seem to be very limited, but I'm hesitant to buy off the net.

    cheers Lenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last shot of the grape arbor is delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lenny, I buy wool on line from Bendigo Woollen Mill (just google it). The prices are reasonable, they will send you a colour card and if you spend more than $30 then postage is free. I also sometimes find something at Spotlight but it's difficult to find anything actually milled in Australia. If you want to buy organic yarns then ecoyarns is OK.
    good luck
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Jenny, for posting the Lemon Delicious recipe! Mmmmm!

    What an abundant harvest of grapes you have! What a blessing!

    love, Tina :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jenny

    cheers Lenny

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good evening Jenny,
    We had wonderful rain during the late evening here in Melbourne too, I left the window wide open so as we lay in bed we could hear the rain fall...a delightful sound.
    What a wonderful harvest of grapes you will have. I also love the last photo of the grapes. Thanks for the Lemon Delicious recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Jenny

    Torrential rain here last night in Melbourne's eastern suburbs. Thunder lightning the lot - fabulous show outside the window. Muchly appreciated by the garden.

    Its so lovely to have the cooler weather now autumn really is here:)

    Take care
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lemon delicious is such an Australian recipe -- it's my mum-in-law's specialty! Have you tried Impossible Pie? That's another easy but delicious old-fashioned favourite (takes about 5 minutes, and everyone loves it -- there's a recipe on my blog at http://morningbroken.blogspot.com/2008/02/impossibly-easy-impossibly-good.html if you're interested).

    ReplyDelete
  9. So that's what a lemon delicious is! I think i've had something similar to that once long ago as a child.
    The grapes look oh so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oops! I almost missed this post!! Your grapes are just incredible! How many years have you been growing them?
    And I've been wondering about your frogs...any update??

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made Lemon Delicious before! It goes by a different name here in America (I'm too lazy to get up and look in my recipe file) but I really like it. I love anything with lemon! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Lemon Delicious reminds me of a class of desserts called "sponge puddings" in my vintage (40's and 50's) Better Homes and Gardens cookbooks. The one I make most frequently is chocolate but there are lemon and date variations.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes! It's called Lemon Sponge Cake here in Canada. Thanks Rebecca for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello there. I feel like I've slipped out of the loop a bit. Talk of lemon delicious struck a chord. My most favourite dessert (pudding?) of all time. I make it off and on. When people come for tea, if it's requested for a birthday...special times. Sometimes because we need something to bolster us.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.