Slideshow Widget

Nuts, seeds, butterflies and rock cakes. Yum.

6 Mar 2008

conker


Too hot to be Autumn today but the plants are doing their best to put on the seasonal show.



cyclamen




P5070040


Passed this ivy on the way to the supermarket.
It was in flower and covered in very happy butterflies and European wasps.
I've never seen so many butterflies all in one place before.



bird bath




dandelion clock




rose hips




wattle seed pods




blackberries




rock cakes


I made a nice big batch of Rock Cakes which are unaccountably popular with all men and boys. Make rock cakes for the men in your life and serve them with a big pot of tea and I guarantee they will finally take the bin out, remember to pick up their dirty socks and tell everyone what a great cook you are.




This is my mum's recipe so it is still in pounds and ounces


1/2 pound butter at room temperature
1 cup of castor sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla
3 eggs
3 cups of self raising flour
1 1/2 cups of mixed fruit
( 1/2 cup of walnuts) optional



Cream butter, sugar and vanilla.
Add and mix eggs thoroughly , one at a time.
Fold in fruit (and nuts) and flour.



Place large teaspoons full on a greased tray and bake in a moderate oven for 15 minutes, until lightly browned.
This recipe makes about 5 dozen biscuits (cookies) .



Last week I received an email from Marie Cherry( I think that is the right name). My husband accidentally deleted it before I could answer so if you could send me another email I would appreciate it. Thanks.


7 Responses to “Nuts, seeds, butterflies and rock cakes. Yum.”

  1. Wow! Jenny can it be that easy?...just bake Rock cakes and they will take out the rubbish,pick up their dirty socks & tell me I am a good cook. I am off to the kitchen to do some baking, in fact I might double the qty. and maybe they will cook dinner for me tomorrow night & do the ironing! LOL Good night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pictures, Jenny. The rock cakes (cookies, they're called here) look great.

    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol to Jenny mch's comment!

    I'm just fascinated to see your Autumnal foliage, berries, etc...it just seems so amazing how our seasons are in reverse from eachother...isn't God's creation wonderful?!

    Love, Tina :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful cooling rack. Thank you for sharing the recipe. I'll have to give it a try.

    Fiona absolutely loves the doll's underwear. Fiona wears little camisoles like the one you knit for the doll. It made her feel even more like the doll was just like her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely autumn photos. I enjoy following your seasons and thinking of you picking blackberries while here the spring bulbs are out. I have cyclamen out at the moment as well though of course mine are the spring ones and yours are the autumn variety.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The way to my husbands heart.....tea and rock cakes!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're still in the depth of winter here! I've got 2 feet of ice and snow outside my door where the snow plows have left it, but the sun grows warmer, and your pictures help sustain me in the faith the spring will come! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.