My Little Apron.

27 Mar 2008

P5280009


This adorable little apron was made for me when I was about four years old. As far as I know my Mum made it but it could have been my Auntie who lived next door. My Mum and Auntie sewed almost continually when I was a child making their children and themselves all kinds of wonderful clothes: dresses, skirts, blouses, nightdresses, dressing gowns, coats and pyjamas as well as all the soft furnishings for their homes: curtains, cushion covers and so on.




When they weren't sewing they were knitting, mainly cardigans and jumpers but sometimes skirts and hats occupied them as well.



For many, many years this apron has lived in the little white cupboard in the playhouse at the bottom of my parents' garden along with all the other bits and pieces from my childhood games of "Mothers" and " Restaurants", " Schools" and "Hospitals". Games that occupied my sister, my friend from over the road, my friend from two doors up, my friend from up the street and me, for hours and hours, for days on end, for so many years.



It all sat peacefully abandoned but never, never forgotten until the grandchildren started to arrive and the magic began to be woven again. The old dolls had a second chance at adventure and outings. The cupboards filled with cups and saucers, little pots and pans and teapots were sorted once again. The tiny table was set and cordial tea was supped.


The youngest of the grandchildren only occasionally visit the house at the bottom of the garden now. If time is on its side the next little ones to slowly open the door that always sticks a little before it allows you to enter will be the great grandchildren.



Can you imagine, the absolute joy there would be to stand there with your child, your grandchild and your great grandchild and play those magical games all over again.




P5280011



Can you imagine how special I felt with my own little apron to wear to do my "work" and make my little home comfy and cosy, bright and pretty for my doll family and friends.



Bliss.





22 Responses to “My Little Apron.”

  1. What a sweet story you have woven. It sounds like some of my favorite tales as a child: a magical house, tucked away with long-forgotten dolls and clothing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post! You would be blessed indeed to be so lucky to witness your great grandchild playing in the old playhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like happy memories indeed! My mom sewed paint smocks for my brother and me, but I don't remember wearing an apron till I was helping in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I MUST make the apron for my little girl - I've got the pattern, the cute fabric all waiting.
    Thank you for your memories! I have wonderful memories of playing "house" with scraps of things and playing "church" by sitting on the stairsteps for pews.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm amazed at the terrific condition of your apron. It must have been very well cared for all of these years!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What precious memories you have. And how special that your parents are still in the same house with the same cubby. I would love to be able to live in a house that long!

    Thank you for sharing your memories. My own children have spent the week in their cubby house this week, after acquiring an old dead microwave and breadmaker. All of a sudden their little corner of the back yard has so many more possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tracy,It's pure luck that the apron is in such good condition as many other playhouse items have succumbed to mildew or tears. Kate bought it home last week for one of the "big dolls" to wear. The "bog dolls" are two toddler size dolls that my sister and I had and Kate has brought to live here at our house for a little while.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Becca and welcome, It is a magical place especially as all the trees have grown so tall and the garden is always full of flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Margo you must make the apron. Time goes by so quickly and they are only little girls for such a short time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tracy, your lucky children. I bet they have had fun. My parents have lived in their home for 50 years this year. They built it and never want to leave it, it holds a whole lifetimes memories.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jenny :) What a precious post! Such wonderful memories - the pictures brought to mind were delightful. Love, Q

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so privileged to have a family home to visit and to be able to meet little Jenny in the garden and corners of your old home whenever you visit. These are the priceless treasures of our lives.

    My mother is a discontented person who constantly moves house. Over the years she has divested herself of anything that might be sentimental or hold memories. Now her current home is simply her house and there is nothing at all to remind me of the family we once were.

    Warmly Mrs MacKenzie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aw, this post brought up so many memories of my cousins and I playing in my grandparents playhouse in their backyard. I think they were in their house a little over 50 years when they sold up to move into a retirement village, just a few months before their first great grandchild (my daughter) was born. I'll have to make an apron for her :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Jenny
    I am reminded of my mum when my sons were born. In the bottom drawer of the old chest of drawers where hand made dresses from my aunt and even my little nighties and booties. My only problem was that my boys at 8lb15oz and 10ib 1oz were way too big to fit into my lovely clothing. We still have it though in case the next generation isn't quite so chubby!
    Best wishes
    Lizzie

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful picture and view into the life of your childhood. The apron is adorable. You paint a beautiful picture. One can almost imagine what it must have been like to be there with you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a sweet and lovely post...it brought back so many happy memories of my own childhood and watching and listening to my own little ones playing 'house' when they were little. Such happy times. Thank you Jenny.

    Love, Tina :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely memories Jenny. You mention your Mum & Aunt sewing their clothes...over Easter I had a interesting chat with my dear MIL. My MIL told me that during WW2 when she was 16 to 19 years old, she was involved in singing at many concerts for soliders on leave (in Melbourne) as there were short supplies of material for dresses, she would knit outfits for herself, skirts & matching tops. Then when she married & had her family, during each pregnancy (5)she would make a new outfit for herself & new clothes for the baby to come home in from the hospital. She then continued to sew & knit for her children when they were young. She has recently taken up knitting again to keep her hands mobile.

    ReplyDelete
  18. memories they are wonderful..What a beautiful apron..
    Blessings Sister Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a darling apron...and what a beautiful memory.
    Have a wonderful week.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  20. Miss Jenny Wren,
    I will be spotlighting this blog entry tomorrow on my blog. I loved it and want to pass it along to my readers. Be looking tomorrow! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a treasured memory, thank you for taking us down there with you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. My Mother and Grandmother sewed and knitted everything they could when I was growing up.All my dresses were homemade with matching knitted cardigans,nightdresses and dressing gowns were also made at home, or adapted to fit from hand me downs.My Mother is still alive aged 88 years,and although she now lives in a bungalow she has kept or given to my brother and I,all the remembered things from our childhood.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.