Slideshow Widget

Mmmm, ice cream

8 Feb 2008

I is for Ice Cream


I have had some requests for my ice cream recipe so here it is. The original recipe that mine is based on is a recipe from The Amish Cook, Lovina Eichler. She writes a weekly cooking column for an American newspaper and her column is available on line. The recipe uses raw eggs rather than using an egg custard base.

All the egg custard base recipes I tried always tasted too egg-y to me so I was really pleased to find this one.






Strawberry Ice Cream by T. C. Chiu


For our 20th wedding anniversary last year we bought an electric ice cream maker. I had wanted an old fashioned hand churn but George Smithwick, the cooper was temporarily out of business last year due to bushfire damage to his business so I couldn't get one. Anyway our Gelateria works well and we really enjoy the ice cream.




British Children Gather Round the Ice Cream Van in the Summer of 1963 by Mirrorpix

I have loved eating ice cream all my life. The sweetest sound to my childhood ear was Mr Whippy and his happy song. We would race inside to beg some money from mum and then dash back to the curb so he would stop for us. We only ever bought a vanilla soft serve , we didn't need anything fancy, it was exotic enough just to have someone sell you an ice cream from his magical van.



Treats by Ann Mount



So onto this recipe. First I'll give you Lovina's recipe meant to feed a crowd.



10 cups milk

7 eggs

3 1/2 cups sugar

4 teaspoons vanilla

1 teaspoon salt.



Beat eggs then add remaining ingredients and mix. Pour into freezer and freeze.



It comes with a warning about eating raw eggs because of salmonella contamination I presume. So keep that in mind.




My recipe is as follows:


600ml cream (pouring/whipping cream)

2 eggs

1/2 to 3/4 cups sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/4 teaspoon salt.



Whip everything together until combined but not thickened.
Chill well for at least half an hour.
Pour into ice cream maker.



Can be eaten as soon as churning finishes and it will be like soft serve or freeze until firm.
Enjoy.


5 Responses to “Mmmm, ice cream”

  1. I love ice cream too. We had a neighbor boy who went down the sidewalk with his wagon full of ice cream treats and popcicles. He really made a killing at 10 cents a piece for his frozen treats. Your recipe sounds scrumptious.

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing. I will have to try this but I need an ice cream machine first.

    Jules

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your recipe looks great. Thank you for posting it. Now all I need is an ice-cream maker. Hmmm!!

    Warmly, Mrs M

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also like the Amish Cook, her mother wrote the article before her. She died quite suddenly a few years ago. I actually have a couple of the cookbooks that were compiled based on her articles.
    blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your recipe looks great. Thank you for posting it. Now all I need is an ice-cream maker. Hmmm!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.