Slideshow Widget

The beginning, the middle and the end.

9 Feb 2008

early morning strawberries




I was up and outside early this morning , mainly because Shackie the cat wanted to go outside and Charlie the duck was positively shouting at the hens to get them ( and half the neighbourhood) out of bed.
I gave him some food and some water and he was quiet after that.
I collected some early morning strawberries on my way back to the house.



early morning sunshine , 1 hour after dawn


The sun had been up about an hour.
The mornings are starting to be a little chilly now and you can smell the changing seasons, the beginning of autumn harvests and the last big growing season before the quiet of winter.
My feet are beginning to think that cosy slippers would be a good idea and my mind turns to wood piles and crackling fires.



op shop wool bonanza


Back inside to spend a little time giving the finishing touches to my tidy ( for me) work table.
I checked over the bonanza of wool I found at the op shop through the week: enough cream 12ply wool to make a man's jumper, enough soft blue wool and silk yarn to make a woman's jumper or cardigan and enough 5ply Bluebell wool to make a girl's jumper. Also some 8ply blue cotton for dishclothes and all for $40.



my pincushions


Then while I drank my morning cuppa and looked at some vintage knitting patterns and magazines as I sorted out my "sharps" that is my pins and needles. I know that doesn't sound very exciting but it was actually very satisfying.
One pincushion for my dollmaking needles, one pincushion for my other sewing needles, one pin cushion for my glass headed pins and a pin tin for my dressmaking pins.
How neat is that. All ready for the next onslaught of sewing and no longer a jumbled mess.



early morning cuppa


After the routine houseclean , and with all the men folk at various sport engagements Kate and I headed off for an ice cream sundae and a milkshake.
Kate had earned a little money looking after a neighbour's cat while she was away on holiday and the money was given with strict instructions that we were to go out for a milkshake together.
Who am I to argue.



choc bit muffins


Back home again I did a little reading and then realised the hungry hoardes would be home soon so I made some banana choc bit muffins using up a banana that was too squishy to ever be eaten. Yummy yummy muffins.



parsley chopped for the gremolata


And finally dinner was based on the traditional Osso Bucco recipe but with a twist. instead of veal shanks I used lamb BBQ chops. This style of chop is usually pretty tough but slow cooked in a tomato based sauce and topped with gremolata using fresh garden parsley and served with creamy mashed potato it was delicious. The chops had been on special and then reduced so it was a bargain meal and super tasty plus there are plenty of leftovers for tomorrows lunch.

Perfect.


It seems it was a Saturday of food and eating. Who needs to go to Festivale, there was plenty of good food right here.



5 Responses to “The beginning, the middle and the end.”

  1. Jenny,
    Your day sounds perfectly wonderful. Full of all the little things that bring contentment. Have a wonderful weekend. Love, Tami
    P.S. I'll post a picture of my 50's cooker on my blog just for you. :~)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your blog, it's so soothing for some reason! It must be the simple living feel to it, a home from home for me! I love the fact you write something every day - I get so disappointed when blogs have the same entry for days on end! Thank you for the pleasure you give so many of us.
    Love, Tina :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a glorious Saturday! I wish I could say the same that the change of seasons is in the air....there's a snowstorm outside...winter just never seems to end this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jenny,
    I love your op shop finds. I am thinking of doing that tomorrow as the kids return to school and I will be at a loss.

    Jules

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tami, I can't wait to see it.

    Hi Tina, thanks for taking the time ti visit.

    Hi Maggie, spring will come I'm sure.

    Hi Jules, my children don't go back to school until Wednesday. Happy op shopping.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.