A Woman at Home

27 Jan 2008

1958 Woman and Home


I spent a bit of time today looking through some of my vintage magazines.
This one will be fifty years old in May.
It's an English magazine.
My favourite part of these old magazines after the knitting, sewing and recipes is the advertisements.


The main preoccupation seems to be laxatives, corsets, the health of children and products to improve your cooking.


cooking ad


Look at this one for "The rich white fat - Cookeen". I presume it is lard.
Can you imagine anything being advertised as fat these days and intending it as a positive quality?
EDIT - I have been given a link by Tina who says Cookeen is still available in the UK.


rich white fat


Just look - real fat, good and rich.

EDIT - May I also add that we don't do any low fat foods in this house, we like real fat, good and rich, just not too much of it.



fashions from spring fifty years ago


And even with that good rich lard plus the help of all those laxatives and corsets ( and plenty of hard work doing the housework and walking to the shops I'm sure)
they manged to look good in a fitted bodice and full skirt.



new rug



I have a feeling that this gorgeous old Afghan rug I rescued from the op shop is nearly as old as the magazine.
It is in reasonably good condition although a few of the squares are in need of repair as some of the wool has either rotted or been eaten by moths.
I just love the strong but somewhat dirty looking colours.
The squares themselves are only about two inches across and the rug is single bed size.
I love it.



10 Responses to “A Woman at Home”

  1. Here's a link for some more info on 'Cookeen'. It's still available in the UK today and is made from vegetable fat. My Mum always used it for pastry!

    http://www.princes.co.uk/brands/cookeen/

    Tina :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is just bizzare! I guess they could eat things like that as they got more incidental exercise :)
    I think I just put on 2kg looking at the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a hoot! Who doesn't love rich, white fat- mmmmmm mm good :D Thanks for a peek into the past.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Check out the tea cozies on the front! I like the ones with the cherries on top :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your afghan too. It looks easy to make, too. Maybe a project for next winter! Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still use Cookeen for pastry......with butter. I also have a blanket just like the one in your picture. I love to curl up in it. We used to call that square motif "Old America"!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Last year my son (14) was making pastry at school and the recipe given included cookeen. I was horrified but went along with the recipe - I have to say Alex's pastry was much much better than mine & I was converted!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  8. My dear departed mother-in-law, a wonderful craftswoman, used to get English magazines - for the patterns. As for fitting into those bodices, remember that people still smoked like chimneys in those days (as well as eating lard and using the dripping from the Sunday roast) and that helped to keep them skinny! The fact that Cookeen is a vegetable fat, as 'anonymous' has pointed out, might meen that it is similar to our Copha. It is a "white fat".


    Blessings and bliss

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a afghan that my husband's Mother made that looks like yours..Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, "white fat" - refined/super strained dripping was the only thing with which to baste a roast with vegetables. A roast ain't the same otherwise. I have to agree. However, because I don't save fat routinely nowadays, it occurs less. Roasts still yummy, and (in spite of initial cost) very economical. At least two other meals from it, for our family of seven.
    Oh, this seems quite stingy. It does work for our family though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to chat. I don't always have time to reply but I do read every message you leave.